What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly High, Fly Fast

N941WR

Legacy Member
Recently I picked up an oxygen system and have been putting it to good use flying back and fourth between Houston, TX and Greenville, SC.

Typically the east bound flights take less than five hours and going west can add as much as an hour. Also, the east bound flights tend to be higher than west bound because I'm trying to take advantage of the winds or avoid them. Even with good tailwinds I usually land half way for a bio break and $4.45 a gallon fuel.

Even though my engine has a carburetor hanging from the oil sump, the dual P-mags allow me to run LoP, which helps with my fuel burn.

Today pretty much the entire US was covered with clear skies and before leaving the office I checked the winds aloft. 15,000 feet was forecast to be going my way at 35 to 40 knots. I thought that if I could get up there, then maybe I would have enough push to make the 720 mile flight non-stop.

Leaving Pearland (KLVJ) I contacted Ellington Departure and asked for flight following, which they promptly gave me and cleared me into Houston's Class Bravo at or below 3,000'. That is what I have come to expect, no big deal.

When Ellington handed me off the next controller asked me what altitude I would like I asked for 15,500', expecting they would hold me at 6,000' until well clear of incoming traffic. When the controller cleared me directly to 15.5 I stumbled in my reply and the controller wanted me to verify I was going to head up that high.

With 15,500' and 500 FPM dialed into the SkyView, up I went. Going through 8,000' I was at wide open throttle and leaning as I went up. It was also time to turn on the oxygen.

Those long wings on the -9 are amazing!

Even though the engine could only produce 48% power at 15.5 I was still going up at 500 FPM without any hesitation. I did notice some Dutch roll going on the last 1,000 feet or so. I'm not exactly sure what that was about.

Level at 15.5 I was pickup up 40 to 50+ knot tailwinds, the Dutch roll stopped, and the air was glass smooth. Great news, I knew I could make it all the way without stopping. What I didn't count on was being able to lean the engine to where it was putting out just over 40% power while burning just a nick over five gallons per hour.

With a burn rate of 5 GPH and a Ground Speed over 200 knots, I could easily make the 720 mile flight without stopping. Had I gone up to 17.5, I could have picked up another 10 knots of tailwind. Maybe I'll do that the next trip. (My feeling was to take flying up high like that in baby steps and not jump off a cliff.)

What was kind of cool was to realize that should I have an engine failure at that altitude, I had a lot of options with regard to suitable landing options.

While going over the top of Atlanta was unique. I got the distinct impression they didn't like having VFR aircraft over the top and when I told them I was going to start letting down and would stop at 13.5 until clear of their Bravo they reminded me that they had planes coming and going all over the place. Then they gave me a trainee controller and when I told him I was leaving 13.5 for 2,200 feet he had me repeat it three times and then he started calling traffic for me that was cruising around at 2,500 feet while I was still above 10,000 feet. I simply replied that I didn't think that Cessna at 2,500 feet would be an issue.

Here are some pictures from the flight.

Keep pounding! These airplanes are truly amazing and the -9 just loves going high!

KLVJ+to+SC86.jpg

Record+speed.JPG

Speed+and+Alt.JPG

Great post. The -9 is a fantastic altitude performer. I couldn't believe the numbers until I noticed you had an O-360. 159ktas at 5gph is something very few will ever be able to boast.

SkyView snapshots

Bill,

Next time you need to take a snapshot of your screen, press button 2 and 7 at the same time with a USB memory stick attached to your screen. It will save a snapshot of your screen to the stick in a jpg format.

Good way to save pictures of your screen inflight to review your flight with pictures.

Enjoy the high flights. Fly safe.

Brian

Very cool Bill. All my travels across the country have been at 12.5 to 17.5 depending on winds. Some have been at 1200 AGL too! Mountain High make the O2 last a long time and it's sure fun to see those numbers. Am adding some compression that should make them even more exciting up high.
Enjoy!

These planes love altitude. I usually fly 8k - 9k for even one hour flights. Seems kind of like a sweet spot but I know higher could be better. I just finished assembling my O2 setup so will be moving up on the next trip.

Data box?

Bill.....where did that data display come from that is right of the aerial view of the flight, and, secondly how did you display the flight profile?

Was your flight plan IFR?

Jim
RV9a

Flightaware

Bill.....where did that data display come from that is right of the aerial view of the flight, and, secondly how did you display the flight profile?

Jim
RV9a

Www.flightaware.com tracks all flights that are in the air traffic control system like this. For sure all IFR flights, I think maybe anything with a flight plan and sometimes when you pick up flight follow in is my experience.

Nothing to setup ahead of time, just enter your tail number in the site after a flight.

Jim
RV9a

The others have answered the first part of your question.

To display the images is use the "Snipping Tool" found in Windows 7 (and 8?) to grab a section of the screen. The screen grabs are saved to my computer and then loaded to a Picasaweb folder with the appropriate permissions to allow everyone to see them. Next, I view the image in Pacasaweb and right click on it and select "Properties". From the pop-up window I highlight and copy the file name, along with the url where it is located. Next I use the img and /img tags inside of square brackets to display the images in my post. Hit the "Quote" button on the first post of this thread and you will see what I'm talking about.

As already mentioned, if you have a flightplan ATC will enter you in the system. I haven't filed a flight plan in close to 30 years but usually request Flight Following on longer trips.

If ATC is not busy, they will stay with me the entire trip, unless I go below their coverage ability, which has happened to me.

If you filed a flight plan, they will do their best to keep track of you.

It is my impression that ATC likes to have you on FF because then they know what you are going to do and it makes it easier to route planes around you. In my case they vectored me around an MOA that went Hot after I was airborne. (You can see the two little kinks in my flight path as I angled away from the MOA and then turned on course.

I didn't know flightaware.com recorded VFR flights that were filed with a flight plan and those just requesting flight following. This is a great way for your significant other to keep track of your progress. Knowledge is power as they say.

It will take me a while to learn how to imbed those images in a post. Lots of geeky goblygook there. In the meantime hand me the slide rule.

Jim
RV9a

One other thing Jim, at 15.5 I was VFR with 30+ miles visibility and the smoothest air I think I have ever flown in. The only bumps were my landing.

ATL controllers

Bill nice post. You flew pretty much right over my house :D . You are correct that ATL does not like VFR traffic. Over the past 15 years I've noticed that their attitude (no pun intended) towards VFR traffic has gotten worse. I use to fly down to my house in Destin, FL and go over ATL airport at 5500 feet but the past 8 times they have not cleared me into Class Bravo at that altitude so I just go around and under it. But I think once your are up and they are handed the traffic they generally do okay with it... even if they don't like it.

Very nice Bill. I just flew from WI to FL in 5hrs, 20 minutes. 30-50kt tailwind all the way. I cruised down at 11.5k most of the way and at one point had to climb to 13.5 to clear some cloud tops (by 1000' of course ;)). Flying my -9 at high altitude is a complete non-event. It just does it! Of course, it was a bit sluggish as my wife packed about 6 bags (including a clothes iron??). Got into some wx south of JAX and ADSB WX was spot on with precip depiction. Even greased a few landings. Gotta love it, now just chillin waiting for some Florida sun tomorrow! Hope the Pompanos are biting!

I go over the top of ORD, and ATL all the time. Was over ORD today. I almost never talk to them. They always interrupt my music!

Bill nice post. ... You are correct that ATL does not like VFR traffic. ...

Thanks!

A few years back I picked my father-in-law up in Chattanooga and flew to one of the airparks south of ATL. Being a conscious pilot I contacted ATL approach and got a squawk and flight following. Next thing I knew the started routing me me miles out of the way. When I realized what was going on I cancelled FF and went on course, forcing them to move traffic around me.

While that sounds rather callous, I was well under the Class Bravo and away from the traffic flow.

Then a funny thing happened, they asked to keep me on FF but turned me right towards my destination. Go figure.

Great post Bill. Seeing a range of numbers and performance for the high flights helps in planning for the future.
I tried to outclimb some cumulus clouds out West last week (near Grand Canyon) Got to 16K in the 9A but it was clear they were taller than they looked from below. Gave up and went under at 9500.
Good to know the 9 likes to cruise there.

Tried my oxygen yesterday and went to 16.5. The oxygen worked fine and the airplane flew great. Still had climb performance. 84 degree day here in Florida and I had to turn the heat on. Got a very short period Dutch Roll that Bill talked about. I don't consider this a sweet spot for performance unless it is for a tailwind. True speed was a little down but @ 150 kts fuel burn was good @ 5.8gph.
2dnddd.jpg

2zdyo2r.jpg

Takes a little used to getting down from this altitude. I started down about sixty miles out and I should have been more like 80.
I did not want to get in anybodies way so I talked with Jax. Center and it was funny having them call out all the airline traffic.
No C-172's at this altitude.

Last edited:
Bill great post. A little thing I disagree with is nothing to see from the top of VFR altitude :D
A lot of interesting things over the Rockies and Maine. Once upon a time in the West I was so fascinated with the scenery and missed huge updraft. If you conservatively add two thousand feet to this alt reading you would know what I am talking about. ATC was watching too :)

Yesterday en route to KFFA First Flight I barely got out of beating only here. I wish I got my bottle there could easy gain 10 more knots :D

What a wonderful machine!

recommend in the future you overfly the center of the ATL bravo space, you'll have better results than cutting the arrivals corridor

To Bill and MarkW,

What is the highest TAS you can achieve at 12,000+ DA? Highest RPM achievable? I'm curious to know what the IO-320 vs 0-360 with FP props can do at altitude. Any other RV-9s with such >12,000 data points?

Thanks, Tyson

RV9 wing vs RV7/8 wing

I know that the RV9 wing has a different airfoil section with better low speed performance then the RV7/8 wing, but what would explain the better high altitude performance?

Right!

Higher aspect ratio: I should have known that from all those aerodynamics classes I took in school...

I don't seem to get any better speed because of the lost manifold pressure.
I loose IAS but True says about the same.
I can fly WOT, lop and it is 155 kts about 2500 rpm.
Interesting is wind direction though. I flew from Orlando to Charleston Friday and had a tail wind coming and going just because I was able to pick my altitude.
Going North in the morning wind was 310 down low but as you climb wind moved to about 240. This gave me a 20 knot tailwind most of the trip @ 11k. On the trip home that evening/night is was about the same so I flew lower @ 8k. Tailwind during part of the trip. Even @ 8k we used O2 because we had it and it was dark thirty by the time we landed.
Higher without the advantage of wind doesn't make me faster but it reduces fuel consumption. If I remember @ 11k I was WOT and 63% power. Running about 6.5 gph. Lower and same speed @ 80% power and I would burn 8 gph.

I don't seem to get any better speed because of the lost manifold pressure.
I loose IAS but True says about the same.
I can fly WOT, lop and it is 155 kts about 2500 rpm.
The difference between Mark's IO-320 and my O-360 is that I typically run mine at 50% power LOP (Love my P-mags!), burning 6.1 GPH, and truing at155 Kts at 8500'. (My pictures indicate 20.8" MAP & 2500 RPM at 10,430 DA.)

Higher without the advantage of wind doesn't make me faster but it reduces fuel consumption. If I remember @ 11k I was WOT and 63% power. Running about 6.5 gph. Lower and same speed @ 80% power and I would burn 8 gph.
The O-360 will drink more fuel but then I can also go faster. I just returned to Houston yesterday and was trueing out at 165 kts while burning around 8 to 9 GPH. (I didn’t take pictures but did use the SkyView to do some screen grabs and those pictures on the flash drive, which is sitting in the plane.)

My goodness Bill, you're just now getting around to exploring the -9's lovin' for way up top? Come on in, the water is fine...

Vlad, your map is turned the wrong way! Don't you know North is always Up.

My goodness Bill, you're just now getting around to exploring the -9's lovin' for way up top? Come on in, the water is fine...
Scott, you are going to hate that -8 because it just doesn't do that well up high. I suggest you let me come take it off your hands. How does 20 bucks sound?

Ahh, completely different mission grasshoppah', fast at 200'-1000' in the "immediate" vicinity of eight or more other aircraft... :). But I will continue to wear the -9 as a badge requiring a 'superior pilot' in certain circumstances!
It is a hoot to watch that -9 wing work at altitude, if only I could get the rest of the short stubbies to cruise up there with us :).

Back