What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternate air cable (horizontal induction)

mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
From the "picture is worth 1000 words" category, here are some shots of how I did my alternate induction air cable (IO-360-M1B, horizontal induction).

Instead of the plans method, I made little steel brackets and attached the cable sleeve to some handy sump bolts:

20131104_cable4.jpg
20131104_cable3.jpg
20131104_cable2.jpg

And instead of just winding the cable around a screw on the door, I made my own little custom aluminum cable anchor thingy on the mill. It pivots on a brass bushing and the cable wire is clamped between a pair of set screws, loctited in place. Same principle as the "B-nut" found elsewhere, just adapted for this particular application.

20131104_block1.jpg
20131104_bushing.jpg
20131104_door2.jpg

I had hoped to find a more elegant way to construct the door that would allow it to be both opened and closed with the cable, as some of you clever guys have done, but I decided not to spend any more time on it right now. Maybe on the next airplane.

20131104_door1.jpg
20131104_door3.jpg

Full blog entry: http://www.rv7blog.com/2013/11/04/alternate-air-cable/

Last edited:
Nice work! What happens when you try to close it? I've read mixed reports, seems it works for some.

For what it's worth, I laminated an aluminum ring into the glass to avoid breakout, and changed the geometry a bit from the plans. The clevis and threaded coupler are from the R/C model industry for large models. Opens and closes every time...

What happens when you try to close it? I've read mixed reports, seems it works for some.

It tries to close but the door doesn't go under the tab, so it doesn't actually close securely. To do otherwise requires a more elaborate mechanism than I was prepared to fool with!

Here is a link to the first of 3 pages on expercraft documenting my bypass installation.

Air bypass page 1

The main customization was creation of a "stud" for the curled end of the Bowden cable. This allowed me to leave the metal self locking nut loose enough for the loops in the cable end to rotate freely. Works great and the geometry I wound up with closes the hatch every time, tightly.

Way to go Matt!! Thinking about the issue and resolving with an elegant solution!. I shall copy your process, repeatedly.

Well done.

Back