What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Accident

Rick Gray

Hi Folks,

After about 26 days in the Ohio State Burn Center I am now back home. I'd like to express my deepest gratitude for the many prayers, cards, emails, calls, & visitors that I received, many from folks I had never met but 'knew' from VAF......amazing! Every card was special in its own way......a great feeling to know that people really care.

Having crawled through the fire to get away from the burning plane my wounds were/are rather severe. This has been a life changing accident in many ways. As my body heals I will look foward to sharing my experience. Right now I'm grateful to be alive and to have a finger to type with :).

Thanks for the update Rick. I pray for your healing every single day, friend. Anything you need, day or night, don't hesitate to ask.

Thankful,
Doug

Rick!
Its so good to hear from you again! My dad and I have been thinking about you and your family and are glad to hear you are home! Hope to see you again soon

Rick,

I'm so glad you're back home. I was thinking about you earlier today and was wondering how things were going. That's the best report we could have gotten.

Welcome back...
Phil

Rick.
I missed your avatar.
What a great sight to see Snoopy back on his
dog house firing away.

Get well soon, I'll fly down and buy you a piece of pie,
Chox

?.... Right now I'm grateful to be alive and to have a finger to type with :).

Hey now....I resemble that statement - I'm typing with a middle finger! :) :p

We've all been thinking about you and have tried to give you time and space to heal. We'll touch base when time allows, for now we want you to focus on healing (both mentally & physically).

Best wishes from the entire Steinair team - we can't wait till you get better and we send thoughts your way every day.

Stein

Last edited:
Rick

Rick,

I cant describe how happy just seeing you back here made me feel!

It made my whole week!

After my scare a year or so ago I too know the power of VAF and how many people out here care about you in times of need.

I think I speak for just about everyone here when I say..."if there's anything"...I know it gets said a lot and blown off a lot but we are a different breed we VAF folks!

I think you will see in the coming days and weeks that I'm not the only one that not only wishes you well but will do whatever we can for you and your family!

All you need is to ask and amazing things happen sometimes.

Be well, rest up, it'll be a long pull but we're here with you every step of the way.

God speed Rick, good to hear from you Son!!

Good to hear from you man, glad you made it out alive.

One finger is all you need man, keep us informed. We would all like to know what happened.

Rick,

I have never met you sir, and I was just looking at your website and all the excellent aircraft you have built. I want to wish you a speedy recovery and return to your passion of kitplanes. I am glad to see that you are now home where you can relax and focus on your recovery. I am sure you can see there are many praying for you and that is an amazing power!

God Bless!

Christopher

:D :D :D

That says it all! It's great to see your post!

(BTW - You've got a lot of power! You made so many people happy with just one finger!)

Hey Rick!
So glad to see you are back home! Hope you get better quickly. Are you taking visitors? I would like to fly over and say hello.
Cheers!
Nordo

Welcome back to this electronic watering hole where like minded persons meet.

Lots of guys have been thinking of you and hoping something like this would happen.

It's very good too see you are recovered enough to peck out a message, don't know you personally but your strength is an inspiration.

Here's hoping the healing continues, sure glad you beat off an infection as that is a major concern with burn recovery.

:D :D :D

That says it all! It's great to see your post!

(BTW - You've got a lot of power! You made so many people happy with just one finger!)

Lets not go there, I don't think Rick's ego needs to get well. ;)

Just pulling your string Rick. Keep fighting buddy. We are all pullin for ya. :D

OK, it's time to get back to work now :D Seriously, your work is always an inspiration for me when I go to Oshkosh. If I can ever do anything please let me know.

Healing better at home!!

Rick, I'm so glad you are home and able to continue your recovery from there. Your road will take many paths but you have one of the biggest support groups possible!!!

At least you have the ability to type and communicate which will help pass the time. We look forward to hearing from you.

Although not pleasant, we all want to know what happened in an effort keep it from every happening again. In time.......

Thanks again for being friendly and helpful. I always look forward to picking your brain at Oshkosh.

Hang in there my friend.

Good news indeed

Rick, like so many others here in VAF land, I am overjoyed to see you back at home.

I know it is not easy for you, but the recovery process is a well known path, so hang in there, and do what the good folks at the burn center tell you to do.

PT/rehab is worth every bit of struggle.

Glad to see you're out of the hospital, Rick! I've never met you either, but I enjoy your posts on VAF and your planes are an inspiration.

Get well soon!

Get Well

Me and your RV6 have been very sad since your accident. We are now both so happy to hear from you. Keep the faith, prayer works great miracles.

Hey Rick, you can have some real fun with this.

You're looking a lot like The Mummy, right? Monday evening have the girls prop you up near the front door so when the local rug rats ring the bell.....

Hope it doesn't hurt to laugh. Get well soon.

Glad to hear that you are home, Rick! Good luck and may the Man above be with you during the PT and recuperation.
Mark O

Miracle Healing...

Hi Rick,

Sent you a PM, needless to say what master pilot said is true, prayers work miracles. I'll be saying a few for you.

See Ya!
Smokey

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Glad to see you're home! Recovery is much better when they are not visiting you every two hours to see how you are doing. Typing bandaged up is a total PITA but it gives you something to do! It does get better!

Absolutely!

Hi Rick,

Sent you a PM, needless to say what master pilot said is true, prayers work miracles. I'll be saying a few for you.

See Ya!
Smokey

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

What Smokey said! I've seen some miracles too!

Best,

Did the NTSB report come out for this accident?

It seems that in general the NTSB has a preliminary report within a couple weeks of an accident, but I have not seen anything on this one.

I own and fly an RV-10 so I am particularly interested in what happened even if the information is preliminary (though I prefer to avoid speculation / guessing).

thanks,

I can't remember a thread in recent history that I have checked on more often than this one.
While Rick's recovery and well being is first and foremost on everyone's mind,
I am baffled as to why this accident is treated like a matter of national security.
We all try to learn from mistakes if any were made and hope to avoid them in our own planes and flying endeavors.

+1

further comments typed and erased

I can't remember a thread in recent history that I have checked on more often than this one.
While Rick's recovery and well being is first and foremost on everyone's mind,
I am baffled as to why this accident is treated like a matter of national security.
We all try to learn from mistakes if any were made and hope to avoid them in our own planes and flying endeavors.

I agree, The best way to improve the accident rate in the RV community is to learn from prior issues. I hope we can get a basic idea of what happened here soon.

George

Patience folks, just remember he is only typing with one finger:rolleyes:

O.K., seriously now, Rick has been checking in on VAF, and this thread, and I am pretty sure he will post more info when he is ready.

Put yourself in his shoes, if this had happened to you, would you be ready to talk about it yet??? I dont think I would be......

Last edited:
Geez......Give them a break

Don't forget that aside from the trauma of something like this, someone is likely trying to settle an insurance claim and in some scenerios settle up with the kinder and gentler Federal government.

If I'm in a crash I'm not talking for........lets see, whats the statute of limitations? :D

What happened?

I guess no one will ever learn from this account? Just curious if anyone knows the official cause or NTSB report??

I guess no one will ever learn from this account? Just curious if anyone knows the official cause or NTSB report??

The NTSB site is showing a Preliminary synopsis with the bare facts:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/AccList.aspx?month=9&year=2011

For non-fatal accidents, the NTSB generally releases a Probable Cause around six months after occurrence. That they haven't done so in this case could mean that the investigation has encountered complications. Or it could just mean that the NTSB is busy right now.

Thanks, Bob K.

Can't help you there but I was at an aircraft auction in early May and was standing next to an unknown gentleman discussing with him an RV-8 up for bid. In passing he mentioned a serious RV-10 accident he had. I was dumbfounded as I would have never guessed by looking at him. It was Rick and he looked that good! What's more he displayed a terrific, positive attitude. We both passed on the RV-8 (overdo crankshaft AD on an angle valve IO-360).

No NTSB final report as yet, these can take upwards of a year. The file number is: CEN11LA669 You can check on the progress in the NTSB database.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Back