What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icey Runway

Champ

Well Known Member
Today was the first good day for flying in 3 wks. My home runway was clear enough so I decided to do a stop & go at a nearby airport. It had ice on maybe half its width - estimated afterwards. Everything was going reasonably well til I got slow enough that my rudder lost effectiveness. Even with the tail wheel down there was enough crosswind combined with a lack of braking to result in a gentle departure into the grass on the side of the runway. I couldn’t have been going much faster than walking speed at this point and was able to power it back on the runway - snow was only an inch or two deep. No damage done except to my ego.

Anyway lessons learned:
1. Avoid icy runways.
2. I should have switched from a S&G to a T&G as soon as things started to go south.

PS: The rolls between the two airports were fun.

Last edited:
I flew out of KTEW this morning and the runway was pretty clear but the taxi way still had some ice on it. I learned one thing today - make sure you are on clear pavement when you do your run up. It can get interesting pretty fast!!!

It was nice and smooth once I got to 2800' - a little squirrely with crosswind and bumps from the takeoff up.

Back