What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA port in wing skin (4/6/8 wing profile)

PaulvS

Well Known Member
AOA port in wing skin (4/6/7/8 wing profile)

I'd like to fit an AOA port in the wing skin for my RV-6A, similar to the way it's done on the RV-12 using a pop rivet, for Dynon AOA. I already have the Vans pitot fitted and don't really want to use the Dynon combined pitot/AOA mast.

Can anyone confirm the position where the pop rivet should be fitted relative to the leading edge?

There is another thread that described this for an RV-4 but I'm hoping to get some more data points before drilling any holes.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=186185&highlight=aoa+rivet

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd like to fit an AOA port in the wing skin for my RV-6A, similar to the way it's done on the RV-12 using a pop rivet, for Dynon AOA. I already have the Vans pitot fitted and don't really want to use the Dynon combined pitot/AOA mast.

Can anyone confirm the position where the pop rivet should be fitted relative to the leading edge?

There is another thread that described this for an RV-4 but I'm hoping to get some more data points before drilling any holes.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=186185&highlight=aoa+rivet

Thanks!
Just a data point - not sure if this will be helpful. I have one in my -8 but I don't have a pop rivet. It was installed using the instructions from Advanced Flight Systems, since that was my original AOA.

https://www.advancedflightsystems.com/aoa-documentation.php

I'm using it with my GRT and it works well, but the GRT allows you to "calibrate" the AOA by doing some stalls.

They didn't seem to have any trouble with this location, and from what I understand, if you can calibrate, then the exact location of the hole is not critical, within a certain range. This is probably the same with Dynon.

I did this on my 10, as I had a heated Gretz pitot and wanted to avoid having to buy a replacement. It works very well. You can search for posts from me on the subject, where I discussed location/placement. The advice from Scott was to avoid the turbulent area near the leading edge. Better to be a bit further back from the optimum angle position. Accept that you may need to fill the hole and try again if the results are not good.

Larry

How about this reference from the GRT install manual for AOA. Would 60* off from level work? I may do the same thing.

1CC73AFC-3EF0-4991-8423-5FAE4CA97641.jpg

Hi I managed to do this on my RV6. I read somewhere that the angle should be around 30 degrees up from the horizontal. I had to remove the fuel tank to run the hose and to attach the rivet. I am using it with a Dynon D1000 and followed the setup procedure. All works fine albeit a bit annoying on base leg an final but the volume adjustment is probably what I need to look at but it is all working exactly as it should.

I ran an extra hard line behind my left fuel tank for this purpose too. Question - you say “up 30 degrees from horizontal” for the AOA hole. Does this mean that the AOA hole is on top of the wing (relative to the wing leading edge centerline)? Seems like the AOA hole should be below the pitot line, or below horizontal. That’s how all those AOA/pitot tubes are made. Question is, how much?
GRT reference above is angled 60 degrees below the plane of the pitot tube.

Last edited:
No it’s not on top. I raised the tail to the level flight attitude. I then used a digital level and put it level underneath the leading edge. Then moved it forwards rolling around the leading edge until it read 30 degrees and the used the point of contact with the skin as my reference point. Hope that explains it. The RV12 uses the same setup and that was what gave me the idea. Simple and cheap compared to an expensive pitot probe.

Port measurement

No it’s not on top. I raised the tail to the level flight attitude. I then used a digital level and put it level underneath the leading edge. Then moved it forwards rolling around the leading edge until it read 30 degrees and the used the point of contact with the skin as my reference point. Hope that explains it. The RV12 uses the same setup and that was what gave me the idea. Simple and cheap compared to an expensive pitot probe.

Hi Steve,

Would you be able to please measure the distance to the AOA port from the back edge of the leading skin (at the spar)? It would be interesting to compare with what finnflyer used on his RV4, which was: "Located 17 1/8" forward of the bottom rear edge of the leading edge skin in the foremost rib hole."

This compares with a location of 6" forward of the skin edge that Advanced Flight Systems specifies for their AOA, however that system is a bit different to Dynon and has 2 ports, with one being on the top skin and the other on the bottom skin.

Cheers
Paul.

Cheers
Paul.

I would do but unfortunately the whole country is locked down for another week at least and we are all confined to home so no visits to the airfield.

Back