What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

09-07 match drilling hinge

lipper03

Builder RV14A & ZA750SD
Benefactor
I didn’t like the starter holes locations (fore to aft) I drilled in my hinges for the elevator trim tab, so I realigned with the edges of the spars (aft edges flush with each other). I’ve asked mothership, but I’ll ask here, anyone set up like this before, any issues? I can’t think of any, and the “kind of” test fit looks good (only the pieces on 09-07, with clecos in the way), but it’s not a full test fit, hence the question.

Attachments

• B0F4F12E-4884-4040-9C17-7C86AFAF61B6.jpg
    B0F4F12E-4884-4040-9C17-7C86AFAF61B6.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 237
The problem you might encounter is that the trim tab trailing edge might not align well with the elevator trailing edge. I'd double check before proceeding.

The problem you might encounter is that the trim tab trailing edge might not align well with the elevator trailing edge. I'd double check before proceeding.

Ah yes, I guess I have to do some more checking, take clecos out, tape and such to get a test tab in.

I was taught the following technique by guys who worked at one of Lockheed's Prototype shops from the 40s through 1975 or so.

You can achieve more precise location of a part if the first two holes are 1/8" (not a #30 drill for AN-4s).

Use rivets, as a Cleeco is not round, to locate the hinge then drill the rest of the holes.

Mothership said redrill, so I’ve done that. Holes are per plans, but before I drill the tab holes, I’ve test fit, and I get skin interference at just before 90 degrees up. My guess is that’s more then enough tab travel.

Back