What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ANL Fuse Holders & Shunt

Reflex

Well Known Member
I'm a bit stumped. I'm trying to install two ANL fuse holders and a shunt for each on my RV-14. Best practices say that they should be within 6" of the battery contactor. The RV-14 has the battery and starter contactor in a specific place on the firewall.

The ANL holders and shunts are much larger than I anticipated. Does anybody have any pictures and/or recommendations based of how they did it?

Here’s my installation.

Attachments

• 4CB8F227-C5E9-4248-92BC-F8F07E2BB198.jpg
    4CB8F227-C5E9-4248-92BC-F8F07E2BB198.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 502
I prefer the Midi fuses personally, modern/smaller version of the ANL.
These are also available with multiple fuses in a single case.

714lTVAX23L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Last edited:
I went with the MIDI fuses that Walt suggested. The holders are quite a bit smaller than the ANL fuses. I don't think there is much you can do about the size of the shunts. My configuration is more complicated than most so I have several of them.

Attachments

• Firewall_bus_bars.jpg
    Firewall_bus_bars.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 392
Many thanks for the feedback and pictures. Looks like we all have the same issue with regard to room and the 6" recommendation on the -14. Also, the motor mounts on the -14 vs. -14A are different so options are further limited. I'm going to look into the Midi.

A question for Rapid Ascent (or anybody). The "Z" diagrams from Nuckolls show the shunt between the alternator and the ANL. Your picture appears to show it the other way around. Does it matter?

Thanks,

Fred

Fred,

It really doesn't matter. The current flows through both so the order doesn't matter. You could say that technically the shunt isn't protected by the fuse in my arrangement whereas in the opposite order it would be. I'm not worried about that. I have lots of connections and this way fits better into a smaller area.

Thanks for the picture(s) and the update. I'm still trying to get these within 6" of the contactor. Hoping Midi fuses do the trick...on order hoping they will be here today.

Reflex,

The 6" rule is just a rule of thumb. 7" is not significantly different or 8" for that matter. It is an area that is unprotected and should be minimized is all. Bus bars can be covered with heat shrink and the screw terminals covered as well to minimize the risk of unintentionally shorting to ground.

FYI - Here's my solution. Easily accessible and longest run from shunt to connector is 5.5".

Back