What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Wheel Breakout Force

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Have any of you had to re-adjust the nose wheel breakout force after flying for a while?

Yes, mine went loosened up to 16lbs before I was finished with phase 1. Tightened back up to spec and I'll check it again before leaving for SNF.

Have any of you had to re-adjust the nose wheel breakout force after flying for a while?

Some loosening after gaining time in use is totally normal.
I usually recommend that people check it (regardless of RV model) after 30-40 hrs and then again at 100.
After 100 it usually doesn't change much.

My question is how often does the tightening after 30 and 100 hrs require drilling new holes for the cotter key? I got lucky the first time

Don't be afraid to tighten a bit over specs. All of the Bellvile washers flatten out over time. If you feel even a slight vibration on taxi or landing, tighten immediatly. Do not lube the Bellville washers. They are supposed to rub against one another dry. Cheers.

My question is how often does the tightening after 30 and 100 hrs require drilling new holes for the cotter key? I got lucky the first time

On my RV-10, I've had to tighten twice over the first three year period, each time requiring a new hole. It's been three years since the last time and the tension is holding every time I check it.

On My RV7A, I checked at each annual and never had to tighten it, though I had started a bit higher than recommended. I will be checking the 14A in the next few days to see if it needs any changes. So far, no shimming has been noticed.

On my RV-10, I've had to tighten twice over the first three year period, each time requiring a new hole. It's been three years since the last time and the tension is holding every time I check it.

Like all things RV, what I dread (drilling those new holes) will be no big deal but the thing that looks "easy" prospectively will be hard.

Proper way to measure the breakout force

Forgive me for asking but what is the proper way to check the breakout force on the nose wheel? Is it the amount of force to initially move the wheel from it normal position or is the amount of force to move it to the full left or right position? Sorry for my ignorance.

Forgive me for asking but what is the proper way to check the breakout force on the nose wheel? Is it the amount of force to initially move the wheel from it normal position or is the amount of force to move it to the full left or right position? Sorry for my ignorance.

The initial force as I understand it.

You do not have to drill new holes. Just file the washers.

I have had to tighten mine a few times in 11 years. last time, got an un-commanded yaw as the friction broke and that is how I knew the nose wheel was loose.

where to attach scale?

for years I have jury-rigged a wire harness to try to pull even with the axle. What does everybody else do??

The same

Pretty much the same. Using safety wire, I pull from close to the axle and measure with a pull scale.

We had another long thread on this a while back. I had to set mine three or four times in the first 20 hours and when I took out the washers and cleaned all the grease off it took longer to need an adjustment. If it is too loose the landing feels awful and there is a lot of left rudder trim needed to offset the yaw from the prop pushing the front pant sideways. If it is too tight then more brake is needed to steer. I?ve decided a little too tight is better than too loose so I just turn the nut until the next hole lines up. Whenever I tried to make it perfect it was loose again soon. Fiddled a lot in the first 50 hours. 90 now and it hasn?t been a problem in a long while.

Back