What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control MGL V16 Nav Radio from G3X Touch?

mwardle7

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if you can directly control a MGL N16 Nav Radio with a Vega Controller from the G3X Touch interface? I've not found a clear answer to this question. I've heard that it is possible, but I've never heard of anyone actually doing it.

I'd like to be able to load a standby frequency and change it to an active frequency all from the G3X Touch due to panel space issues. Can it be done? If you know of a video of a G3X Touch controlling a SL30, Val 2000, or MGL V16 that would be super helpful.

Last edited:
I very much doubt it because the G3X won't support the control protocol for MGL equipment. But you might ask on the MGL forum because Rainier doesn't post on VAF anymore.
The V16 does however have the ability to receive frequency advice per an SL40 type interface, though this is different to the actual controlling that you want to do.

A few things I have seen in their literature:

V16 is Comm radio, N16 is Nav radio.

Either one can only be DIRECTLY connected to MGL EFIS systems.

If you use a Vega or Razor control head, that control head can communicate directly with other EFIS including G3X.

The Vega/razor can use several Garmin radio protocols, SL-40 would be a good choice for V16 Comm radio with Vega control head combination.

Gordon

mgl control

From Mgl Avionics users group:

This question is coming up very frequently: Can a N16 we used with another make of EFIS system ?

The answer is YES. Provided the EFIS understands the SL30 or GNC255 RS232 based protocols. You do need in addition a Vega or Razor control head as it is the head that interfaces to the N16 and provides the RS232 port to other EFIS systems.

You need a head anyway in these cases as you need some means to control various items on the N16 - the RS232 based protocols only cater for setting frequencies and returning the received signal information.

Only with MGL EFIS systems can you ditch the head (you can still use one if you like).

The protocol is in public domain but I think it is fairly unlikely that any other avionics companies will support it.

Keith Rhea
RV7
2021 Donation

Yes, sorry guys. I meant the N16 not the V16.

Thanks for all of the input. It's consistent with what I've read. I'm wondering if anybody has successfully controlled a N16 from the G3X Touch through the Vega. I know it's possible to do, but has it actually been done? Specifically, I'd be interested in knowing what feature limitations there are. I know on the Val 2000 you can load the standby frequency from the G3X Touch, but you can't switch it to the active frequency. That's the sort of thing I'm curious about.

Thanks again so much!

I have a N-16 connected through a Vega to my G3X touch. I went to the hangar today and here is what I can tell you about how mine works.

- You can tune a nav standby frequency on the GDU, however, I cannot get the standby frequency in the active slot using the display. In order to get the standby frequency into the primary you have to press the frequency knob/button on the Vega.

- You can select a course on either the Vega or the GDU, however you cannot have both, you have to select one or the other in the configuration mode. I prefer using the Vega for course selection.

Something you might consider is mounting the Vega somewhere other than on the panel (console/side panel) where it’s still accessible. The Vega is pretty small. I suppose you could remove the frequency knob/button and solder some extension wires back to the Vega pcb.

N16 with Vega and G3X touch

Resurrecting this thread from 10 months ago. I have this set-up, using an N16 radio, Razor head and G3X touch system (Connected via RS-232). Here are the pro's and cons of this set-up in my opinion:

PRO's

1. Connectivity - Works pretty well with the g3X, except for the inability to input channels from the g3X to the N16. You can use the g3X like an OBS knob to dial in headings and so forth pretty seamlessly. The set up and connection it pretty easy.

2. Display - The Razor has a tiny little CDI and glide-slope display independent of the g3X system you could use in the case of a g3X system failure to navigate or shoot an approach.

3. Channels - The N16 can monitor a second channel so you can fly a localizer and then monitor a second frequency for the crossing radial. Pretty cool.

4. Price - The price is affordable.

CON's

1. Dimming - My biggest complaint is the dimming, the Razor does not accept an external dimming signal, the automatic dimming control does not seem to work correctly for me and the manual dimming is clunky. When I fly at night I was having to pay special attention to this one instrument to get it to dim. Now If I am not going to need it, I just kill the power to it to avoid the hassle.

2. Screen - It's not as bright as the G5 next to it so it's harder to see in sunlight. My wife complains about the amount of flashing/movement on the screen when you are not tuned into a receive-able channel. It can be a little distracting if not receiving a channel as the needles and things are constantly bouncing around, so we tend to turn it off when not in use.

3. Stability - A few times the N16 and Razor have failed to connect, but always seem to work if I cycle power.

4. Controls - The controls generally are okay, but could be improved. For example entry of frequencies works fine, but is not as natural as I would like. Or for example the control for the dimming is close in the menu structure to the set-up for the type of RS-232 connection, so you need to be rather careful with the touch screen (can be difficult in turbulence).

Overall the Razor/N16 works okay, a few tweaks and I would say it could elevate its status to a good radio. Fix a few items and I would be more willing to recommend without caveats. It seems to do everything the manual says technically, except perhaps the dimming, but the implementation is perhaps a bit clunky and takes some extra patience and attention to to use compared to my other avionics. If i had to do it again would probably spend some extra money for a val and G5 combo or just take the extra financial plunge for the Garmin Nav/Com even though the price jump still chokes me up a little.

Bryan

Last edited:
Back