What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is my pneumatic squeezer broken?

jlott

Suddenly, my pneumatic squeezer isnt setting rivets straight. Basically, at the end (most extended) part of the squeeze, the set holder is visibly shifting toward the tip and side of the yoke which makes the shop head set lopsided...

I verified I have the set holder inserted into the base correctly. Is my squeezer broken? Could it just be the set holder itself?

Help! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

(Photos are on my blog: http://www.n251rv.com/2012/05/27/pneumatic-squeezer-problem/ )

You're using a no hole yoke, which I assume is pushing the set to the upper limits of travel. Some of the vendors say you need a longer 1.25" set for this to work, depending on what you have for the squeezer. If you install a holed yoke that holds the other end of the set, thus reducing the travel, do you still have this problem? I bet the problems goes away, check and see.

You might just be at the thread limit of your adjustable holder. While it's still guided at the bottom, it stays straight, but when reaching full extension, the guided part is almost none, and it's able to move sideways.
As Jim said, you might need a longer set if you want to set short rivets with this no-hole yoke.

The no-hole yokes have a taller base. Because of this the adjustable shaft won't work well with a thin flush set since its near the end of the screw travel and there's not enough of the shaft in the bore of the yoke to adequately support it. You would get better results with a longer flush rivet set.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas guys :)

The adjustable set holder appears to be straight, according to my machinists rule.

I tried using a "holed" yoke with the longest flush set that I have. That caused the adjustable set to only have about 1/4" of threads exposed since it was screwed down so far. The problem was somewhat lessened in that case but isn't completely gone. Shop heads are still set visibly lopsided.

I'm running out of ideas. Perhaps this squeezer is damaged internally... There is plenty of grease in there so its not getting bound or anything.

I'm going to give it a bit more thought but I think I'm at the point of needing to contact Isham.

Yep, I'd contact Isham. When I called them last week I had to leave a voicemail for them to call me back, but they did just that later that day.

The no hole set that I purchased from Isham came with a separate and longer shaft, along with an additional longer set. Do you have the longer set? From time to time I use the adjustable shaft for when the material is thicker and does not require the shaft be screwed out to the end

You know, it's strange, but when I spoke with Isham a couple of weeks ago when looking for a no hole yoke they also indicated I would need the longer adjustable set. I ended up buying a no hole yoke from Cleveland, and they indicated I would not need a longer adjustable set, that it would work with my existing set. I've installed and used it with my existing set and it seems to work fine. So, I'm guessing the one from Isham is maybe a little different from others and that it does require a 1.25 inch set. Again, let us know what Isham says about your problem and how to resolve it.

You know, it's strange, but when I spoke with Isham a couple of weeks ago when looking for a no hole yoke they also indicated I would need the longer adjustable set. I ended up buying a no hole yoke from Cleveland, and they indicated I would not need a longer adjustable set, that it would work with my existing set. I've installed and used it with my existing set and it seems to work fine. So, I'm guessing the one from Isham is maybe a little different from others and that it does require a 1.25 inch set. Again, let us know what Isham says about your problem and how to resolve it.

Well, for what it's worth I have been using the adjustable set with the thin nose yoke for the entire build whenever I've needed it. It's always worked fine.

I just started having this problem during my rudder build.

Isham had this to say:

> Justin,
>
> You cannot use the adjustable set holder with the 4" thin nose yoke. Use the fixed set holder that came with that yoke. The adjustable set holder only works with the 1" base yokes. This will not set rivets properly and will potentially mess up the threads on your adjustable set holder. See this link:
>
> http://www.planetools.com/Yoke-Base.htm
>
> Also, if the rivet you are setting is too long this can cause them to bend over. Don't rely on Van's rivet length callouts.
>
> Let me know if this corrects the problem.

To which I replied:

----------------------------------
Well, I tried using the fixed set holder. Interestingly I still seem
to be having the same problem. I've actually never used the fixed set
holder before.

I snapped a couple pics which I've linked below. Used three washers
and my longest flush set on a 3-3.5 rivet. There is still a noticeable
angle when the set holder is fully extended. You can make it out in
the second pic and can definitely feel it with your fingers.

I also tried setting a 3-3.5 rivet using this setup just for the heck
of it. Sure enough it folded right over like all the others :( I've
set at least a hundred rivets with this squeezer and just started
having this problem while working on the rudder. Very frustrating. I
hope I'm just doing something wrong but I cant think what that might
be.

Thanks for your help and insight,
Justin

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49973161/2012-06-05_20.19.02.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49973161/2012-06-05_20.19.24.jpg
-----------------------------------

We will see what becomes of that.

Justin

I see the rivet being offset, but that is with the rivet unheld between the set and the end of the no hole yoke. Are you getting the same result when riveting two pieces of sheet metal? Just wonder if being set in a hole would keep it from bending offcenter.

I see the rivet being offset, but that is with the rivet unheld between the set and the end of the no hole yoke. Are you getting the same result when riveting two pieces of sheet metal? Just wonder if being set in a hole would keep it from bending offcenter.

Yeah they set incorrectly when, in this case, riveting the rudder skin to the top rib flange.

The rivet set you are using may have too many washers under it, which allows it to slide due to lack of overlap. I had a similar issue and Isham sent me a much longer flat set to use with the shorter rivets, it is at least 50% longer and does not require any washers for the 3.5 lengths.

Yoke?

And what about the yoke itself? I've seen this kind of 4" yokes opening themselves, thus leading to this same kind of angle you get between the holder and the upper yoke surface.
Can you measure the opening distance between top and bottom of yoke before squeezing and when at full actuation? That would tell how much the yoke opens and if it's the culprit.
My 0.02?

Back