What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Deployed VAF'ers?

FLEXCopMNPD

I know we have a lot of prior military here, but do we have any that are currently deployed?

I am currently in Kuwait at Camp Arifjan and would love to have a get together of fellow VAF'ers if any are in the area. My only day off is on Sundays :(

I am stuck here until next summer, so fellow enthusiasts would make the time feel less like prison..lol

I know we have a lot of prior military here, but do we have any that are currently deployed?

I am currently in Kuwait at Camp Arifjan and would love to have a get together of fellow VAF'ers if any are in the area. My only day off is on Sundays :(

I am stuck here until next summer, so fellow enthusiasts would make the time feel less like prison..lol

What a bummer. Too bad you couldn't be building a rudder or something while deployed. But I know the routine, you take as much stuff as you can and it isn't much or enough, 45 years ago we shuttled TDY to VN with one bag.

Sure hope we get out of all the hot spots around the world soon. This undeclared war stuff is getting mighty old. At least Kuwait is reasonably stable and settled.

Deployed...

Yup, in 1991 I was on 2-hour telephone alert for five months. Carried my mo-bag with me everywhere, and was tied to the pager. When I finally went it was anticlimatic. The rest of them have been more or less planned.

Mostly "less", as it turned out...

Just about done

Only 87 days left, not that I am counting. Spent too many years over here.

are you near the guys from Patrick AFB?? also if you run into Eric Roney, them him uncle Bo and Jeff says hi!!

Brian, I'll be in AJ in a month on my way to a third year in A-Stan.

Flyguy, I'll be down at the DFIP, see you at BAF

I'm in Bagram Afghanistan for another 8 months....... Bring on the snow!

Hi David, Stay safe over there. I am one of the guys who helped you set your wings in the Olympia hangar a few months ago, just before you left. I have finished my empannage and am now working on my 9A quick build wings and fuselage. FEMA deployment to MS, MO and CT this year have held up my progress a little. :(

See you when you get back.

Jim Sygitowicz

Ah Very cool Jim, cant thank you guys enough for all that help, it was very sad to take the wings off before I left but they had to go. Congrats on your progress, I will be ordering my finishing kit a few months before redeploying so its all ready to go when i get back. In the mean time before an engine is needed I'm gonna by a J-3 to get back to my favorite kind of flying.

-david

Ah Very cool Jim, cant thank you guys enough for all that help, it was very sad to take the wings off before I left but they had to go. Congrats on your progress, I will be ordering my finishing kit a few months before redeploying so its all ready to go when i get back. In the mean time before an engine is needed I'm gonna by a J-3 to get back to my favorite kind of flying.

-david

Hey David, I was part owner of a J3 with a 95 HP. It was on floats and a lot of fun. That was back in the late 70's and early 80's. Also had a Luscombe on floats. So I have flown two taildraggers without a taildragger rating on my ticket.

I think cubs are great and definatly what I want as my second airplane right now but I think this LT Paycheck over here may not be able to support A finishing Kit, and a Cub so I may be switching over to a C-140 or a Luscombe 8 of some sort. I am wanting to do alot of back woods camping up around Mt. Rainer and have found some awsome grass strips to fly into. Well see, I passed over 5 months yesterday so 7 months left, 3 Until Im home for R&R, It cant come fast enough.

-david

Miss those rivets

I am deployed as well.

can't say where though..

Never thought I would miss sheet metal... haha.

Joe

cmdro... I just checked in here. PM me where you're at, I may go crazy with no flying and may have to beg, scream, plead for a ride.

I'm have been here for 6 months now and havent touched an aircraft since. This sucks!..... 6 more months

I keep thinking how lucky I am to be here at BAF and not at somewhere else like Kandahar, Jalalabad or these smaller FOB's and COP's we have over here.

Every time I hear about the poo-pond at KAF I am so happy I ended up here. It still amazes me how many little FOBs we have ALL over the place. I always look for them on the ground in whatever area I am working in. I figure there are very few times I would be able to make it to a runway around here if I needed to put it down for some reason, so the next best thing would be to crash land at the front gate of a FOB haha.

Every time I hear about the poo-pond at KAF I am so happy I ended up here. It still amazes me how many little FOBs we have ALL over the place. I always look for them on the ground in whatever area I am working in. I figure there are very few times I would be able to make it to a runway around here if I needed to put it down for some reason, so the next best thing would be to crash land at the front gate of a FOB haha.

Always made it interesting flying Hornets around here. You have two choices and THATS IT! Used them both on more than one occasion. "Home" was two and a half hours away at least. My plan if I ever found myself needing to jump out was to get as far away from any population as possible, and hide until the cavalry showed up! At least in Iraq we had numerous strips of pavement. You're right though, some of those FOB's are down right scarey.

I feel for you guys. Kuwait is boring as Hades but it is nicer than the 'stan.

Filter (the band) is putting on a concert here tonight. Should be fun.

I am in maintenance land and wished I would have known how boring it was over here. I would have crated up my tools and emp kit and put it in a connex to work on it in our shop. Heck, I probably could have built the darn thing and flown it home...lol..

If any of you all get to AJ holler at me.

I feel for you guys. Kuwait is boring as Hades but it is nicer than the 'stan.

Filter (the band) is putting on a concert here tonight. Should be fun.

I am in maintenance land and wished I would have known how boring it was over here. I would have crated up my tools and emp kit and put it in a connex to work on it in our shop. Heck, I probably could have built the darn thing and flown it home...lol..

If any of you all get to AJ holler at me.

Sorry I missed you man! We mob'd through camp VA.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Any other VAFer's spending the holidays in some of these "undisclosed locations in SW Asia"

chow line

You would not believe the line at the chow hall tonight at Leatherneck/Bastion for the Thanksgiving dinner..... I'm not saying I'm there but.. I know a guy... ;)

Last edited:
Thank you

Thanks all of you who are serving our country - both home and overseas. Our son was supposed to be in Afghanastain now, but his deployment was canceled because of money issues. We are not sad he is still home, but he prepared his company for a year to leave and the deployment was canceled 6 weeks before they were to leave.

Have a good Thanksgiving and our families prayers are with you and your families. All of us hope you are able to come home soon.

Leatherneck, Bastion

At quiet times such as now, just before Turkey Day kicks off in earnest, those of use back here reflect on those of you still there, with gratitude for what you've done, and have yet to do.

Thank you for your efforts, which allow me to fly, visit family & friends, and enjoy the freedoms available only in America.

Thanks

Thanks to the troops and civilians overseas, and families who are serving our country.

Carl

Just got back a few days ago from Afghanistan. Wasn't expecting thanksgiving or Christmas at home this year but was pleasantly surprised by a short deployment. Cheers to the rest of my bros still there. Time to get working on my new aeroled lighting among other things.

KBR mess hall

You would not believe the line at the chow hall tonight at Leatherneck/Bastion for the Thanksgiving dinner..... I'm not saying I'm there but.. I know a guy... ;)

Nothing like eating at a KBR messhall.... I mean dining facility ... during the holidays.

Back