What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CiES Fuel Senders in RV-10

With fuel senders on the outboard sections you will have accurate fuel readings full to empty. Otherwise because of the dihedral you do not read the top 5 gallons or so because the inboard sender hits the top of the tank before its full.

Thanks Pete, this is great. What are the advantages of using two senders per tank, instead of of one per side?

The -10 wing has a fair amount of dihedral, and so does the tank. If the float is inboard, then it hits the top of the tank when there’s still room for another 5 gal in the outboard end. So you can’t tell if you have 25 gal, 30 gal, or in between. If the float is outboard, then it can measure the actual full range, but it will bottom out when there’s still 5 gal in the inboard end of the tank. So with two floats you can measure the full 0 to 30 gal range.
Quite honestly, this is a nice solution to a non-problem. You do look into the tanks on pre-flight, don’t you? And if you do screw up, the stock gauges will alert you while you still have hours of gas left. And most efis units these days smooth out any sloshing.

Not needed

Agreed a nice solution (And adds complexity) to a non-problem. As long as the fuel gauge reads the lower 75% of the tank why worry about the top 25%?

I made my own custom calibrated fuel tank dip tubes. I always knew exactly how much fuel was in each tank when I did my pre-flight. I calibrated them by adding 2 gallons at a time, taking a measurement, then transferring those measurements to a clear acrylic tube, cutting a groove on the lathe, and then engraving the gallons. I had the Princeton probes in my RV-10 tanks, but opted this time for the floats in the RV-9A because I sometimes run pure 90 octane ethanol free rec fuel when I can, or a a mix with 100LL, and that throws the probe calibration way off.

The advantage of the CIES sender is that it uses a magnetic angular position IC to get the position of the float arm. What this means is there is no traditional pot wiper which eventually wears and/or gets fouled. I don't see much advantage in installing these in RV's as most have fuel flow. You can buy many replacement SW float senders for the price of a CIES.

Back