What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CRANK PLUG INSTALLATION WITHOUT TEAR DOWN

Warbirdsolutions

I have a HO-360B1B 180HP helicopter engine turning a fixed pitch prop. I hope to convert it to support a CS prop. Does anyone know if it's possible to install the plug in
the crank without tearing down the engine and removing the crank. I think it would be possible but I'm hoping someone actually knows...
Thanks very much,
Brad

Unless I misunderstand your question, the plug is inside the crankshaft. Teariing down the engine would not buy you anything.

Yep.

If I can do it successfully anybody can, and I did so it must not be too difficult.

I have a HO-360B1B 180HP helicopter engine turning a fixed pitch prop. I hope to convert it to support a CS prop. Does anyone know if it's possible to install the plug in
the crank without tearing down the engine and removing the crank. I think it would be possible but I'm hoping someone actually knows...
Thanks very much,
Brad

I am not familiar with that engine but you need to verify the case has been drilled for the governor oil line and that the accessory case can accommodate a prop governor.

Thanks very much,
Brad

Following the 360 variants it doesn't look like your engine has an option for a CS prop.

HO-360-B1B
180 hp (134 kW) at 2900 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 91/96 avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the B1A but with Bendix 200 series retard breaker magnetos.

HO-360-B1A
180 hp (134 kW) at 2900 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 91/96 avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as C2D but with a different cam shaft.

O-360-C2D
180 hp (134 kW) at 2900 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 91/96 avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the C2B except has Bendix 200 series magnetos. First certified.

O-360-C2B
180 hp (134 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 91/96 avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the C2A except that it has a rear-mounted Bendix carburetor.

O-360-C2A
180 hp (134 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 91/96 avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the C1A except that it has no provision for controllable-pitch propeller.

I am not familiar with helo engines, but searching Lycoming Service Instruction 1435 should give you an idea.

Back