What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fiberglassing canopy skirt

billdianne

Patron
I have a Todd's canopy and I have cut off the skirt's about 2/3's of the way back and plan to glass the back portion to get a better fit.
I'm using 9oz. cloth, how many layups do I need to do to get it strong enough and stiff enough? Also is it better to do one big layup or piece it together with overlaps or does it really matter when it comes to finishing it?

Thank's

Bill

I'm using 9oz. cloth, how many layups do I need to do to get it strong enough and stiff enough? Also is it better to do one big layup or piece it together with overlaps or does it really matter when it comes to finishing it?

Rough rule of thumb is 0.010" per ply for 9oz glass. Probably closer to 0.012" for wet hand layups, but you can always sand the cured joint down to the thickness you want.

Not sure what you mean by "one big layup or piece it together with overlaps", but what you want is a scarf joint done in one session.

BTW, when you sand the scarf in the original part you can probably count the number of plies in it.

Either style scarf layup is fine:

1se2bo.jpg

Back