What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

multiple altimeters in the plane, do all require certification?

FORANE

Well Known Member
When there are multiple altimeters in the panel, is each and every one required to be certified when doing the biennial static check for IFR operations?

I had mine certified IFR a few months ago. I have an AFS EFIS, a G5, and a conventional gauge. They checked all three. The EFiS and G5 did fine, the round gauge didn’t make the cut and got placarded “VFR ONLY”

I had mine certified IFR a few months ago. I have an AFS EFIS, a G5, and a conventional gauge. They checked all three. The EFiS and G5 did fine, the round gauge didn’t make the cut and got placarded “VFR ONLY”

Same here - Received two stickers for the logbook: G5, GSU25

Simply - YES

(a) No person may operate an airplane, or helicopter, in controlled airspace under IFR unless -

(1) Within the preceding 24 calendar months, each static pressure system, each altimeter instrument, and each automatic pressure altitude reporting system has been tested and inspected and found to comply with appendices E and F of part 43 of this chapter;

What if the man has 4 watches?
What if one of the altimeters is strictly backup and intentionally not connected to the static system in order to serve as a backup for frozen static altimeter failure?
What if it isn't on the minimum equipment list?
What if it's plackarded vfr only or inop?

What if the man has 4 watches?
What if one of the altimeters is strictly backup and intentionally not connected to the static system in order to serve as a backup for frozen static altimeter failure?
What if it isn't on the minimum equipment list?
What if it's plackarded vfr only or inop?
I've asked myself the same questions. But looking at the FARs, I can't find a loophole. Technicians doing the check have told me the same thing.

Why can’t you just placard the non-IFR altimeter? That’s what the local avionics shop did for me with my altimeter that didn’t meet IFR accuracy as they certified the results of the airplane for IFR.

Last edited:
Why can’t you just placard the non-IFR altimeter? That’s what the local avionics shop did for me with my altimeter that didn’t meet IFR accuracy as they certified the results of the airplane for IFR.
It is possible that I have done that. Nevertheless I don't see it as an allowed loophole in the regs. Maybe someone else knows otherwise.

It is possible that I have done that. Nevertheless I don't see it as an allowed loophole in the regs. Maybe someone else knows otherwise.

My certified Avionics shop seemed to view it as entirely legal and appropriate.

Back