What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Build Trolley

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
When we built our 8, we had a low wooden trolley on castors to support the QB fuselage so I could work 'into' it early on.

Anyone done one for a 10 as the forward body gets assembled ?

If so, got any snaps please ?

Show Planes had one when they did the 10.

There used to be photos of it on their website while the build was going on. Cant find the photos now------but maybe an email would get them sent to you??

As I recall, it was a rectangular frame with adjustable height risers that picked up the spars, and the step sockets. Casters to make it roll around easy.

I made a wooden one like Mike described. I used blocks on the trolley rails to level it fore and aft. The fuselage was supported on the spar stubs and on the ends of a pipe inserted through the sockets for the steps.

Here is the one I have been using. If you make one just be sure you have access to insert the gear legs such that it doesn't require cutting the stand apart to get it out. :)

I padded the front and rear crossbars before I lowered the fuse onto the cart.

20190304_005725431_iOS.jpg

A different solution

I made a short set of 'legs' for mine with a castor on the bottom. Bolted on with hardware store bolts (that I also used for the initial wing fit up).

20151206-221703.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I made up a small sled for the rear of the fuselage. Notice the spacing of the two supports is right under a bulkhead

20151206-221727.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I built two. The first is a VAF published design, relatively easy to find

DSC_2291_01-L.jpg

DSC_2292_01-L.jpg

This second one is a bit lower and worked very well. Solid and stable, and a good hight to lean over the rails and work with both feet on the ground.

Hacked it together with some Van's crate leftovers and some 2x4's. The under area made for very convenient storage location for cabin panels, seat backs, etc.

DSC_2875-L.jpg

It's a bit surprising how much wood I used given that it's an all aluminum airplane

Last edited:
Back