What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting Oil Cooler Mount

TFeeney

Well Known Member
Any suggestions for how to get this one rivet?
Pictures from everyone?s blogs look great...but nobody says they had any trouble. Certainly no secrets revealed.

What am I missing?

I don?t remember - but there are certainly places where an offset or double offset rivet tool was needed or at least preferred.

You could try bucking from the outside & use a back rivet set to drive from the inside. YMMV. Bob

I did not dimple it and put a round head rivet in from the opposite direction. Shop head in the engine side. If you already dimpled it, you can pound it out with the flush head on the rivet gun.

Larry

I back riveted it. Actually I back riveted the entire mount. If you have a bucking bar with a "foot" on it like this one you can back rivet it pretty easily. Might be a chore if you rudder pedals are in though.

In closing

Just to close this out, the back riveting went beautifully.
For anyone doing this out of order like me, getting the brake/rudder pedals out of the way was required. So maybe I?ll get smart and do this beforehand on the next 10.

I had all the tools needed, just not the brainpower. :mad:

Sometimes tunnel vision takes over, but thanks to you guys for the suggestions.

Another option

I mounted mine using nut plates on the cabin side with #6 screws. Just in case it has to be removed in the future.

Back