What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TNC pin vs a BNC pin question

blueflyer

Well Known Member
Are a TNC connector pin and a BNC connector pin the same dimensions? I broke a TNC pin and don't have another. They only ship one pin with each connector.....

I have several BNC connectors/pins sitting around. Can I substitute a BNC pin for the TNC pin I broke that will go into my TNC connector?

Weeeell, my Amphenol BNC and TNC are almost the same, but not the same. The BNC is pointier and has a different mid-shank geometry.
You really don't want to risk intermittent gremlins. Do the right thing!

Look at the manufacturers drawing for each connector. It will include the dimensions of each connector part as well as the coax strip back dimensions. This information drawing is easily obtained with google search.

The answer depends entirely on the manufacturer(s) of the connectors. The exposed, mating part of the pin is governed by a specification; the hidden part that results in retention of the coax center conductor and the retention of the pin in the connector body is not governed by interconnection standards. It's this latter part that is most likely to get you into trouble with respect to reliability of the connection.

Sorry to hear you've had this happen - it's a bear when one messes up a connector, especially when it's the ONLY one you have in stock...

I bit the bullet and paid $20 for a new connector so I could get the proper pin. Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the crimper to be used on the pin? It appears that some people use the pin crimper for the BNC pin, but I cant find any data on Spruce or Steins regarding pin crimper size to be used.

I ask about crimper size because I used crimper with .068 (BNC) dimension for the pin crimp, and it squeezed it so much it broke. I may have had the pin seated wrong, but at $20 a pop, I'm hoping someone can give me a definitive answer on pin crimp size.

I just used the same crimper for both BNC and TNC connectors (GDL-82 installation). Worked with no issues.

TNC pin crimper

It depends on who makes the crimper. I used a cheaper crimper die that was for the RG-58 and it crushed the the center pin for a RG-58 BNC and damaged it beyond using it.

As I am doing a lot more work on installing systems including BNC and TNC connectors, I bought the right Daniel tool off eBay. I never looked back.

Get the right tool for the right job. If you have time, you can get a good deal off eBay. If not, see if one of your friends have the proper tool that you need, and see if he is willing to loan it to you, or crimp it for you.

Brian

Back