What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight N16DK

MK77

Well Known Member
On 27, November 2017, RV-7 kit #72938 officially became a flying machine!

I took the build over from the original builder, Terry Gudz, as a project to work on with my Dad. Terry had completed much of the main structures and I figured it would take us a year to get it to flying status. That was 4.5 years ago. We did all the electrical wiring, instrument panel, avionics installation, and final assembly. Empty weight came in at 1055 lbs.

The first flight was a thrill as the plane took off and climbed like a rocket in the cool, Chicago fall morning. The only issue was a heavy left wing at cruise speed.

Z4zZtxTJU2Y0hZ53FEV_Vq7HFdnWTWimFPhHU060aFt94okL-ikppoEh6cB475nL1AxsY3W5ytZITHAVu9uJQTiFBg6Ik1wj8AqAsR4luf-D7Xuh91x-EQwZduk4KTvscos30NnxmlravLKP7Uge0uu8mFD2I9TCCwa3o8cEC9DqatxUath-2EH0EGetDVNKhId9trCPuzIDhxociQgwOthtqXevZsOVVuixNMuK40Wrg4IStomOsYYYRzM7jwoH7SFc8jAycAcqHooR1_nexoOUYR0mQMUW-bsT2kCnkEhKpH2jLLMasJq3bwsxZylv6f4Ke6N758EOb0uzHyEkh1Ik-qMgA30Rl6d2qp92k0dr4w530HPZ0oeZ94QmLdh2FgSvmFHiquFhocFZtzfOIqGFugld9PztSnKv5VQ99JXwa-VKjwL6Vc55vNJUKV-ck6Z_cB40UUqjCnHEZIY1OJhyTjyw1r_6rxzHVEP98lOMjkVYDm9kJtsmgPO5RCzn132Tirqe2NOZHunoRl2lQCCCzcYIqwCjgKnIXVWIpjjne-tDpoYxAQCaHEigYQK7DRx0pxaTqjo9so4gwwZ0I7oh7_zGhdZlBqJHHyNPcQA=w500-no

Video coming soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt,
Great video and congratulations! I love your panel. Almost exactly what I am going to do. Just add a trutrak ADI and that will be my panel. That might not be your finished panel but it will be mine.

Matt,
Great video and congratulations! I love your panel. Almost exactly what I am going to do. Just add a trutrak ADI and that will be my panel. That might not be your finished panel but it will be mine.

Thanks!! Yea, I like it. Clean and simple. At least for now my bank account says that's the final panel haha. Probably add a mount for an iPad or other portable once I start going places. An IFR gps would be a nice addition, but I'm going to see what my typical mission ends up being.

Back