Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2022, 06:24 PM

I have been flying my 9A for several years with an 0-320 160HP engine and a fixed pitch cruise prop and it is the perfect combination for my mission. Density altitude is not a problem where I live but it has been exposed to only as much as 6K conditions (so far) with no problems. It performs exactly according to Van's published performance specs except for takeoff/landing distances.

Gallagher Insurance has been my choice for years but when I transitioned from my RV-8 they required a CFI checkout/endorsement as I had no previous time in any Van's nosewheel models. I am not an A&P but I have a Repairman Certificate and perform my own maintenance and inspections but I highly recommend a pre-buy from a reputable IA familiar with RVs such as Vic Syracuse before you purchase.
Exempt but proud contributor
Jerry Kinman, VAF 170
Keller, TX (T67)
Old 06-26-2022, 06:48 PM

1. You seem to have a good grasp of insurance. One good broker is all you should need - all the good ones solicit quotes from all the companies, as there arenít that many. Youíre choosing a broker based on their service. The sole exception is Avemco, which has its own in-house agents. But for the last decade plus, theyíve been absurdly over-priced.
2. Not sure youíve grasped the crazy market place. Buyers are lining up to try to outbid each other when an RV comes on the market. If youíre serious about a six month time-line, youíre going to have to monitor for-sale places including VAF daily, be ready to overbid, be ready to be not too particular about engine, prop, avionics, including paying a lot more because itís an ifr IO-320 with CS prop.
Just my two cents.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Kinman View Post
Gallagher Insurance has been my choice for years but when I transitioned from my RV-8 they required a CFI checkout/endorsement as I had no previous time in any Van's nosewheel models. I am not an A&P but I have a Repairman Certificate
I also use and recommend Gallagher but note that they are a Ďbrokerí, like an independent agent. They are not the insurance company, and they donít set requirements - the insurance companies do that.
Also (for the OP), the repairman certificate is a great deal - but it is only available to the original builder, so doesnít apply to you.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
Thanks so much!
Old 06-26-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
2. Not sure youíve grasped the crazy market place. Buyers are lining up to try to outbid each other when an RV comes on the market. If youíre serious about a six month time-line, youíre going to have to monitor for-sale places including VAF daily, be ready to overbid, be ready to be not too particular about engine, prop, avionics, including paying a lot more because itís an ifr IO-320 with CS prop.
Just my two cents.
It is what it is. I only have so much money to spend on this and if it isn't enough, I'll have to pick something else. I don't have to have a Vans. I see some advertised and the ads have been there awhile, so I guess either they don't bother taking ads down, they're way over priced, or there are some things seriously wrong with the planes I guess. Anyhow just hoping rising interest rates will cool the plane market. Might be really wrong though.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:01 AM

Default Exactly

This combo is such a good price/performance equation that I'm mildly surprised that nobody has tried to certify it. Simple, relatively inexpensive, climbs great, goes fast, handles well when slow, highly efficient traveling machine, great performance across a wide range of altitudes, super easy to fly. Obviously I'm biased, but after flying one for a few years I really think the 9A is Vans' masterpiece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Kinman View Post
I have been flying my 9A for several years with an 0-320 160HP engine and a fixed pitch cruise prop and it is the perfect combination for my mission.
2022 Dues Paid
Old 06-27-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy8or View Post
It is what it is. I only have so much money to spend on this and if it isn't enough, I'll have to pick something else. I don't have to have a Vans. I see some advertised and the ads have been there awhile, so I guess either they don't bother taking ads down, they're way over priced, or there are some things seriously wrong with the planes I guess. Anyhow just hoping rising interest rates will cool the plane market. Might be really wrong though.
Right now, the market is crazy, but looming stagflation and a very likely recession may well have big impact on those crazy prices, and that's probably less than a year out. Jumping in now might put you at the very peak of the seller's market and give you the dubious opportunity of buying high and selling low.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 06-27-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
Right now, the market is crazy, but looming stagflation and a very likely recession may well have big impact on those crazy prices, and that's probably less than a year out. Jumping in now might put you at the very peak of the seller's market and give you the dubious opportunity of buying high and selling low.
Agreed. So I watch and wait a little bit. As it is, about 80% of the ones I have seen for sale I can't afford. I might have to consider getting an older -6A, but it's not really the plane I want.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. I work with an IA on my field. He signs me off. Thank you for raising the issue of insurance. I forgot to mention that but it is definitely on the list of what-abouts. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be lower than the Mooney. Every year it goes up no matter what and this year they wanted over $1700. Bonus points for adding a company and contact name!! I will call.
Definitely...similar hull value the RV-9A will be 1/2-1/3 the insurance of the Mooney, because of historical gear issues.

I was quoted $2300 for a Mooney, $1200 for V-tail Bonanza, and $900 for RV-9A with similar hull. To give context...I have several hundred hours in the Mooney (did my commercial and instrument in it), but had 0 time in bonanzas (several hundred in barons though), and only a couple hours in an RV-12 when shopping insurance rates

RV-9A is the easiest airplane I've flow...very honest and fun to fly. Low wing loading does provide for a rougher ride, but that wing also gets you higher and out of the bumps, as long as you have more than O-235 in it.
2022 Dues Paid

Last edited by avrojockey : 06-27-2022 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:58 AM

Default You could do a lot worse

The right -6A is a very, very good machine. I think it's the real value leader in used RVs.

Quote:
Agreed. So I watch and wait a little bit. As it is, about 80% of the ones I have seen for sale I can't afford. I might have to consider getting an older -6A, but it's not really the plane I want.
2022 Dues Paid