What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Short Bolts Landing Gear ??????

HIIFLY

Well Known Member
I have just mounted my landing gear on my RV-8 project that was started in 2000 . I am the second owner / builder of this project .
Everything went well mounting the landing gear legs until I put the outer longeron "C-clamps / bar" on and inserted the bolts that it called for on the plans ( NAS6206-27 ) . When I put on the washer and nut (NAS1804) and snugged them up for fit I am seeing at least two threads down inside the NUTS ! which is a little less than 1/8" , so to get two thread above the NUT I would need about a 1/4" longer bolt .
I have searched the Posts and can not find anyone having the same problem as I have .
Now understand , I have double checked that all pieces involved are seated properly without any gaps .
Has anyone had this problem or is it just me ????? :(

I am just installing mine as well, but it seemed that I will have adequate thread through the nut. I do remember these particular bolts having a plastic sleeve on them, which I thought was interesting, as none of the other bolts were packaged like this? I will let you know if mine turn out short on thread.

Stock or Grove?

Do you have stock Van's gear legs, or the Grove gear? If you have the Grove airfoiled gear (not sure if the non-airfoiled gear legs are the same), that would account for the difference in thickness, and you'd have to install a longer bolt to get the proper number of threads.

Back