What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Pitch Servo Install

Terry Lutz

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm doing a Garmin autopilot install, and need some advice on riveting the brackets for the pitch servo. My airplane is a fairly early RV-8QB, s/n 80-462. Unlike later versions, I need to remove the existing brackets for the elevator bell crank, and install the brackets provided in the kit to install the Garmin pitch servo. I've studied photos of other installations, and everyone seems to do a good job of putting in those 10 AD4 rivets. My question is if they can all be squeezed, or do they need to be hammered? If you squeezed them, what style and depth of yoke did you use? Any good advice would be appreciated, as I know others have gone down this path with good results. FYI, when I removed my PC680 from the battery tray to get it out of the way, I noticed the date that I installed it was 9/14! And still cranking the engine quite well. Thanks in advance guys.

I did that way back in the first year of flying my RV-8 Terry, and I don't recall having any difficult changing those brackets - it must have gone fine, and I am pretty sure I squeezed the rivets.

Paul

Back