What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ridge in Grove rim

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Posting on behalf of a friend. He is in the process of installing Grove wheels on his RV10. The question is if the ridge that can be seen in the rim, will damage the tube by any chance? That is the ridge running through the stem hole. Thanking you in advance.

Grove_Rim.JPG

Grove_Tube.JPG

Would seem quite unlikely. Most tubes have at least double the rubber thickness, often more, in the area surrounding the stem and one of the reasons for that is do deal with the sharp edge of the hole the the stem protrudes through.

Larry

I am the one who asked Jan to post the pictures. As background, I had the straight rubber valve stems that came from VANS, and wanted to change to the bent valve stems for easier access through wheel pant door. I know other RV10 owners have installed the 90 degree stems. I believe VANS over time supplied the Grove as well as Cleveland wheels and I do not know the differences between these two wheels. When I installed the inner tube with the 90 degree stem I was concerned about how it sat on that ridge.
I managed to talk to Grove yesterday. The 6.00-6 were made for the straight rubber stem. They do not manufacture a rim in this size for 90 degree stem (TR87 stem). The TR87 stem is all metal. He also stated that VANS for the past few years only shipped Grove wheels with their kit.
So, I would appreciate input from owners who have installed the bent stem in Grove rims. I got the impression from the person at Grove that he was not too concerned and suggested using some electric tape to smooth the bump. This, of coarse, is my own subjective impression.
Thanks in advance.
Johan

I am the one who asked Jan to post the pictures. As background, I had the straight rubber valve stems that came from VANS, and wanted to change to the bent valve stems for easier access through wheel pant door. I know other RV10 owners have installed the 90 degree stems. I believe VANS over time supplied the Grove as well as Cleveland wheels and I do not know the differences between these two wheels. When I installed the inner tube with the 90 degree stem I was concerned about how it sat on that ridge.
I managed to talk to Grove yesterday. The 6.00-6 were made for the straight rubber stem. They do not manufacture a rim in this size for 90 degree stem (TR87 stem). The TR87 stem is all metal. He also stated that VANS for the past few years only shipped Grove wheels with their kit.
So, I would appreciate input from owners who have installed the bent stem in Grove rims. I got the impression from the person at Grove that he was not too concerned and suggested using some electric tape to smooth the bump. This, of coarse, is my own subjective impression.
Thanks in advance.
Johan

I believe both tube types are the same in th rubber area that touches that ridge. I have the grove wheels with the bent stem tube. Only 16 hours so far, though carrying weight for 6 months, but no issues. My research tells me that many 10 owners use this tube, but don’t know how many have grove wheels. Again, I believe that the thick rubber in that area of the tube should prevent any problems. The brass tube making contact should not be an issue IMO

Disregard above. I now can see the brass plate imbedded in the rubber layup in your pic. I still don’t see it causing a leak though and don’t plan to address my installation.
Larry

Last edited:
2 piece wheels

since these are 2 piece wheels, has there ever been a thought to fill in this depression with a hard foam ring or something?

Back