What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X integration

Does anyone know or has anyone paired a G3X touch system with an Avidyne IFD-540 Navigator. If so, do the frequencies (com and nav) appear on the G3X? Are they controllable (tunable, flip-flop) from the G3X?

I see no one has responded here. I have the same question, thinking of having a G3X/Avidyne combination but can’t really find if anyone has done this or has experience with the compatibility.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this. Guaranteed integration and full system support from the Team G3X guys are major advantages to going all Garmin.

The fact that no one has replied is proably telling you something.

Last edited:
That is the biggest reason I went all GARMIN. Didn?t want to mess with integration issues.

If/when I build another RV, it will most likely be all GARMIN. I?ve been very pleased with the support, and product.

-Dan

Just a reminder that we offer special pricing on the GTN 625 when purchased with a G3X system.

$5,675 for the GTN 625, data card, and antenna make for a super capable IFR system, and the GTN 625 can also perform as the ADS-B Out position source.

This promotion is currently available until March 29, 2019.

Thanks,
Steve

Because of my position, I am often trying different combinations of things, and I ave indeed flown an IFD 440 with a G3X non-touch, It works well enough but there are a few things that don't integrate perfectly on approaches (they are adequate, but not seamless), particularly what happens after a miss. The IFD has a lot of things going for it over the 430W that it slides in to replace - its capabilities compare to a 650 - but you are still stuck with Jeppeson pricing for database updates.

I have not flow it with a G3 Touch.

Paul

Just a reminder that we offer special pricing on the GTN 625 when purchased with a G3X system.

$5,675 for the GTN 625, data card, and antenna make for a super capable IFR system, and the GTN 625 can also perform as the ADS-B Out position source.

This promotion is currently available until March 29, 2019.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I would appreciate a special pricing for the g3x + gtn650 combo ;)

Avidyne

I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this. Guaranteed integration and full system support from the Team G3X guys are major advantages to going all Garmin.

The reason may have something to do with Garmin's decision to go with exclusively touchscreens in their line. This is just me, but I prefer knobs over touchscreens. I even scouted out non-touch G3X because of it. Turbulence can be a problem and touchscreens can be unreliable even outside of airplanes. Of course there are ways to work through it, but why not offer both options?

I'd gladly go with an all-Garmin integration if they'd offer the features the Avidyne does, i.e. fully operational from both touchscreen and physical buttons, user choice.

But for me, I'd sacrifice integration on the GPS (and it will be the only non-Garmin part) for the option to control the box with knobs and rocker switches, which is why I'll be going with the 440 when I finally get around to that part of the build if Garmin doesn't have something comparable.

G3Xpert, any plans to incorporate this in future GPS/Nav/Comms?

I fly my little plane in IFR often and even in bumps I find my touch easier to deal with than the prior generation non touch screens I had before. Knobs still require movement and they often require more movement than the touch requires touches. Just my two coppers and I was very hesitant going with touch screens, but having flown both extensively....I prefer the touch in all situations. YMMV

I fly my little plane in IFR often and even in bumps I find my touch easier to deal with than the prior generation non touch screens I had before. Knobs still require movement and they often require more movement than the touch requires touches. Just my two coppers and I was very hesitant going with touch screens, but having flown both extensively....I prefer the touch in all situations. YMMV

Yep, I fly a decent bit of IMC in my G3X Touch equipped RV-9A. If it is so bumpy that the touch screen is difficult to use, the knobs are about impossible.

-Dan

Add automation in there too along with integration

I file my IFR flight plans on Garmin Pilot because it is easy and automated. A lot of my IFR flights are Direct but in the case that I get more than a couple of waypoints back from the ATC computer I just hit the send button on Garmin Pilot and let Connext automatically load the entire flight plan into the G3XT/GTN system. No touchscreen or knob activity required.

I find the system very intuitive to use within the ATC system so enroute changes are not bad with the touchscreen when needed.

Once I get my approach instructions from ATC and activate the approach I really don't do any touchscreen activity. The approach is already loaded and activated and I use the autopilot control head knobs/wheel for heading, descent, etc for the approach.

If I need to go missed I just hit the Takeoff/Go Around button while increasing to full power and the system executes the missed approach procedure and enters the hold without ever disconnecting the autopilot or even touching anything on either the G3X Touch or the GTN-650.

If I just had snow skis on the RV I could get home early tomorrow morning as planned.

Andy

Back