What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Subaru RV-7A Video

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
Caleb Lesher posted this video about flying his Eggenfellner setup around the lovely Northern California coast. Pretty fair and evenly weighted commentary about his experiences with the package- pros and cons, some performance and fuel burn numbers, typical operation, reasons for flying the Subaru etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUzURMUe0MU

Started watching the short video(...) after lunch; wife says, 'So are you going to watch the entire 26 minutes now?'

Ross, do any of your contacts have stories to tell, and a source for the Quinti props (other than the Egg, of course)? I can't seem to find any info in English, from an American distributor.

Thanks,

Charlie

Bit of a long video but covers the typical operation of Subaru engines with many useful insights I think. Caleb's comments are pretty realistic- covers the good and not so good points of the installation fairly in my view.

Quinti is basically gone now by recent accounts so no useful or reasonably priced support any more. Your choices are down to IVO, MT and Airmaster. I'd be looking at Airmaster given the price of MT stuff these days.

http://www.airmasterpropellers.com/products

They are in NZ and have a good reputation for service from people I've talked to. Some of their props use Whirlwind and Sensenich blades.

Fascinating video Ross. I remember dreaming about buying an Egg years ago, but questions arose so I thought it best to use a Lyc. Whoever put that plane together seems to have known what he was doing and set up everything right in order to optimize and fly the engine. I didn't hear any discussion of the supercharger/turbo in the video. What can you tell us about it? John

Fascinating video Ross. I remember dreaming about buying an Egg years ago, but questions arose so I thought it best to use a Lyc. Whoever put that plane together seems to have known what he was doing and set up everything right in order to optimize and fly the engine. I didn't hear any discussion of the supercharger/turbo in the video. What can you tell us about it? John

Caleb has a race car and A&P background so he's well suited to sort things out and keep it running.

This aircraft does not have a turbo on it. Just the common 3 liter, naturally aspirated EZ30 6 cylinder.

I do have a customer in Norway with over 400 hours on a turbo EZ30. Trues 170 knots on 9.25 gal/hr at altitude. Had no serious issues with it and is doing another one for a new airplane. He's been very satisfied with the first one.

It looks like most of their props are only rated for 115 hp, with a single prop, the AP431CTF-WWR66U rated for 160 hp.

Would this be suitable for an EZ30 or EZ33 that could potentially offer more than 160 hp?

-Dj

I've heard rumors they are open to working with people to do testing on higher hp designs if they feel there is an adequate market there.

A 160hp prop would not be adequate or well matched for a well built EZ30 or EG33 I wouldn't think.

They may had not done vibration testing on higher hp models at this point to qualify the hubs and blades past 160hp. Best to contact them and see what they might be able to do for you.

I went through the same process. At the time, folks were having a lot of trouble cooling the 3L engine using the same set up as the STi engine. Nice to hear that Caleb has the cooling all sorted out now. Also at the time, the prop control was not sorted out, so he has that in hand as well, although he did say it has struggles under some conditions.

So, still remaining, as he mentioned, is the PSRU. And he said nothing about weight. (at least up til the 24:40 minute mark past which I can't seem to make the video play). Be nice to know his empty weight.
Finally, how come he is choosing to run so rich? Cheaper gas, but he is using a lot of it.

I went through the same process. At the time, folks were having a lot of trouble cooling the 3L engine using the same set up as the STi engine. Nice to hear that Caleb has the cooling all sorted out now. Also at the time, the prop control was not sorted out, so he has that in hand as well, although he did say it has struggles under some conditions.

So, still remaining, as he mentioned, is the PSRU. And he said nothing about weight. (at least up til the 24:40 minute mark past which I can't seem to make the video play). Be nice to know his empty weight.
Finally, how come he is choosing to run so rich? Cheaper gas, but he is using a lot of it.

Yes, you're right the weight issue was not discussed. I believe most of these are ending up about 30-60 lbs. heavier than a Lycoming installation.

Rich is necessary on these engines or the pistons melt as many Sube guys have found out the hard way... Nobody has tried LOP because we're all scared to do the big pull to get it there. Might work or might cost $3k.

The fuel burn on the atmo EZ30s is not so good but we've seen competitive burns on the 4 cylinder EJ turbos.

Hey guys, Caleb here from the video. I guess the video didn't even up being so brief! Anyway.. Glad to see its made it here to VAF!

Hi Caleb; thanks for the video. Actually, the more detail & info, the better. What's the empty weight? Your fuel burn at lower power settings seems pretty close to what a Lyc would do. It would be interesting to see numbers at altitude & lean of peak.

Thanks,

Charlie
-7 Mazda Renesis, in process

According to the books, My poor 7a tips the scales at 1278 lbs. Should be a bit lighter after removing some things, but onto the good stuff:
At 10,000 ft, running 3750/20" at 12:1 afr, 1300 egt ( aprox 75 rich of peak) I see 7.5-8gph and 140ktas. My fuel flow has been calibrated to be accurate. I have briefly tried running the engine at 15.5 afr (lean of peak, but didn't notice the egt or ff#). Ran perfectly smooth, but I have concerns about running lean of peak at this high of a power setting.

Caleb

Hi Caleb; thanks for the video. Actually, the more detail & info, the better. What's the empty weight? Your fuel burn at lower power settings seems pretty close to what a Lyc would do. It would be interesting to see numbers at altitude & lean of peak.

Thanks,

Charlie
-7 Mazda Renesis, in process

Back