What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bob Nuckolls WigWag controller

219PB

Well Known Member
I am trying to locate Bob Nuckolls AEC9012 WigWag controller to install for my landing/taxi lights. I was originally going to install the VP-X system that included the feature but I have redesigned my electrical system and will not using the VP-X. I have found a few controllers on the web and the one that Bob Nuckolls with Aeroelectric Connection has really intrigued me. It was his AEC9012 Programmable Wig Wag Controller. I liked this one because both lights and wigwag functions could be controlled with one switch, it would triple pulse the lights and it was reasonably priced.

I went to his website and tried to order but when I clicked submit it took me to Matronics and they do not have it listed. I sent an email to Matronics but I thought I would ask here.

My equipment list shows I used a B and C SSF-1 but I can't find it at the B and C website. It's a basic automotive unit and I think it would be easy to come up with a similar one at Autozone.

You might go to Matronics forum and ask Bob on the AeroElectric forum for a substitute.

Here's a link to an earlier thread on this forum with information on alternatives. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/archive/index.php?t-6287.html

Last edited:
It is possible B&C might be offering something of Bob's design soon. Bob mentioned last month that B&C was going to be offering some new designs of his early this year.

Last edited:
I sent an email to B&C earlier today. I will let you know their response. I am currently in China working while everyone else is sleeping. Also do not get to make progress on the RV-6A other than working on my electrical schematics.

I used a flasher module from NAPA PN EL-13A-2. As an interesting feature the flasher will not function if one of the bulbs is bad. This feature makes checking the landing lights easy to preflight, just flip the wag switch and if the wag relay is triggering the lights are working.

Russ
RV9-A
N1909K

This simple device, plus a pair of automotive relays will do the trick.

Low-current switches can be used for control. Using 3-position SPDT switches, the down position is OFF, the mid position is FLASH and the up position is ON. This is logically correct.

Wig-wag is a very simple function and it doesn't take much to get results. The tricky part is getting a logical control switch function. A microprocessor is not required for this, just diode logic.

See schematic here.

Vlittle,

Do you sell a board for the WWX-1A that has the d-sub connector and relay hubs for a nice compact installation? Like the one on the video?

Also, I assume the WWX-1A can do the wigwag or the dimmer function but not both at the same time, correct?

Paul

I received an email from Greg Jones with B&C. He stated that they are going to be manufacturing Bob Nuckolls AEC9012 this year. I can wait for that component.

Thanks for all of your comments.

Be Seen

I used this one from Spruce, and I had a tower controller come out and tell me it is the best investment I ever put on the airplane. He said my airplane really stands out and can bee seen much farther than others. I have it flashing the landing lights and the MR-16 tip lights, all LED's. Flying in the busy Atlanta airspace I like to be seen. :) It generates random flashing patterns, no the typical wig-wag back and forth.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/alfiflasher.php?clickkey=52910

Vic

FWIW: When I still had 55w Halogen bulbs as my recognition lights I made this cheap (around $10.00) circuit to have them blink together or stay on using two switches and a Bussmann 232 electronic flasher. It can easily be modified to use only one SPDT (On-Off-On) switch instead of two SPST switches.

Wig%20Wag%20Circuit_zps6mcagbju.jpg

The wires are supposed to be 18ga not 12ga and the flasher is a Bussmann 232 not 244.
:cool:

Last edited:
What I like about Bob Nuckolls wigwag controller is that you can turn on the taxi light alone, have them both on, wigwag and doing this will only one switch. Seems like a clean installation. I do not know what B&C will charge but Bob used to charge $58, pretty cheap.

controller available

I may have one of the controllers available, which I think came from B&C some few years ago. My original panel was built by Aerotronics to have a single switch for landing lights and wig-wag. (I do not have a separate landing light.) It worked well until I switched to LED headlights. The wig-wag needed the light to be part of the wig wag circuit operation and the LED did not serve that function because it did not provide a path to ground. So I removed it and may have it around. If interested, send me a pm and I will look.

Back