What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Nav and landing lights to RV-6A

Planecrazy232

Well Known Member
I could use some advice. I have a RV6A that is built without any lighting. I want to add NAV and landing lights. There are tubes in the wings for the wiring. I'm thinking of these combo units from Aeroflash for the Nav/Strobes. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/aerofllightkits2.php
Pretty easy straight forward installation.

My real question is landing lights. I don't know if there is a wingtip version available, or should I just cut them into the leading edge? Also what lights to use for the landing lights.

Any advice, pictures, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

VAF donor as of today!!

FWIW, I'd suggest looking at LED lighting (less power draw and very bright) and give Mike at Team Aerodynamix a shout. He has everything you'd need and can probably help you figure out what your best options are given the specific wingtips that are installed on your plane, etc.

Cutting a landing light hole in the leading edge of the wing is not too difficult, sounds scarier than it actually is. Mike has the brackets, lights and everything to make that pretty easy. Adding position/strobe lights is generally pretty simple, too - might mean some fiberglass work depending on your situation. Methods for cutting wingtips to add a clear lens at the leading edge corner depends on which wingtips are used on your plane. Exactly how and where lights are mounted determines whether you need a rear white position light.

Last edited:
Converting my -6A

to LED, both for nav/strobes and landing. Good LEDs are expensive, but, basically lifetime quality. Good recommendation for going to Mike at TeamAero...

R.

Duckworks lights are intended for appliactions like this

The landing light kits that we have at Duckworks Aviation are intended to be installed through the cutout in the leading edge. There is even no need to remove the wingtip to install one of our kits, and if you are careful, there is no need to even do any paint touchup on the cutout!!

We have LED lights also that have passed RFI tests to eliminate any problems with radio interference.

Our LED landing lights can be found here:
http://duckworksav.com/LELightKits.html#LE LED Kits

We provide everything you need out in the wing. You install your preferred wiring, switches and circuit breaker and just connect it out in the wing. Only a single power wire is needed to be run. The lights can be grounded locally out in the wing, and no special shielded power wire is needed either.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me

Are you thinking of actually flying at night? If so, then your op limits most likely require you to follow the applicable FARs. I notice the strobes you mention are non-PMA, so it is up to you to see that the brightness and angular coverage meets the FAR requirements. Are you mounting them in a wingtip recess, not visible from behind? If so, you'll need another strobe in the tail, as well as a white nav light.

Are you thinking of actually flying at night? If so, then your op limits most likely require you to follow the applicable FARs. I notice the strobes you mention are non-PMA, so it is up to you to see that the brightness and angular coverage meets the FAR requirements. Are you mounting them in a wingtip recess, not visible from behind? If so, you'll need another strobe in the tail, as well as a white nav light.

Yes I actually plan on flying at night- I think that is the purpose of lights :D. It looks like this would be a better and easier option for the NAV/Strobe/Rear position. http://teamaerodynamix.com/shop/avi...rion-600-OR6001G-OR6001R-series-navstrobe-led

I'm still trying to wrap my head around cutting through the painted leading edge to install the landing lights....:cool:

But if you decide to turn them on during the day, other airplanes can see you much easier if you are heading to them. Do use them in the pattern.

Your statement could also cover PMA light assemblies.

The angular coverage is dependent on mounting locations - I would say that even a PMA unit custom mounted inside a wing tip recessed location or mounted at an angle on a Vans original RV wingtip would also need checking to meet the FAA requirements you mention.

It's not as simple as just buying a PMA part. :)

I'm still trying to wrap my head around cutting through the painted leading edge to install the landing lights....:cool:

Yeah, it probably feels a bit wrong hah. But it's really as simple as tracing the template onto the skin, drilling a few holes for the rounded corners, and then connecting the dots/holes with a cutting wheel/dremel/snips/etc. Then just file/smooth/debur. I actually have four landing light locations on my project, two were cut in the leading edge, then I decided to install the same wingtips on the RV8A that I have on my Cherokee, which come with the landing light in them already. Yeah, I know, not cool to buy instead of fabricate. I think I can live with myself on that one, hah. They also have mounting surface "pads" built into the ends that are perfectly sized for the Whelen Orion 600's I got from Mike. Lots of light, all LEDs. Landing lights in two holes and taxi lights in the others. I'll be equipped to fight the Zombie Apocalypse from the air, my friends tell me.

And the point gasman made about using them in the pattern/daytime - good idea. And LEDs are truly superior for that type of visibility. And they don't burn out or break or anything. And they use a *lot* less power, which can be an issue if you have a lot of electronic stuff on your plane.

Last edited:
I could use some advice. I have a RV6A that is built without any lighting. I want to add NAV and landing lights. There are tubes in the wings for the wiring. I'm thinking of these combo units from Aeroflash for the Nav/Strobes. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/aerofllightkits2.php
Pretty easy straight forward installation.

My real question is landing lights. I don't know if there is a wingtip version available, or should I just cut them into the leading edge? Also what lights to use for the landing lights.

Any advice, pictures, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

VAF donor as of today!!

Be sure you have spare alternator capacity. I use these units. The strobes (double flash version) use about 5 amps and nav lights another 7 amps.

Larry

LEDs

One nice thing about LED headlights is that they have a built in wig-wag capability and that really helps recognition. I buried everything in the wingtips and the back of the tail. There are some good integrated LED units. I probably have some photos if you have an email. Use everything you can in the daytime also.

Back