What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How ATC sees your ADSB out

C. Brenden

Well Known Member
We have recently turned the ADSB 'ON' in the en route environment. We are not using it for anything yet but we are seeing it. If you are equipped with ADSB out and your transponder is set to VFR, we'll see a limited data block (LDB) associated with a target. The LDB will contain your registration number and your altitude. Before ADSB we would just see the target and the altitude.
It can be a little confusing because some of the flight schools use a call sign associated with their school instead of their registration number. If there is no flight plan, I will see their registration number and they will be telling me their school call sign. The display is a normal full data block once we have the aircraft on a discreet beacon code and a flight plan is entered.

We have recently turned the ADSB 'ON' in the en route environment. We are not using it for anything yet but we are seeing it. If you are equipped with ADSB out and your transponder is set to VFR, we'll see a limited data block (LDB) associated with a target. The LDB will contain your registration number and your altitude. Before ADSB we would just see the target and the altitude.
It can be a little confusing because some of the flight schools use a call sign associated with their school instead of their registration number. If there is no flight plan, I will see their registration number and they will be telling me their school call sign. The display is a normal full data block once we have the aircraft on a discreet beacon code and a flight plan is entered.

What do you see on the screen if a code is set for VFR Flight Following (no flight plan)?

If you are equipped with ADSB out and your transponder is set to VFR (1200), we'll see a limited data block (LDB) associated with a target. The LDB will contain your registration number and your altitude. The LDB is usually slightly dimmed to help us differentiate between who is on frequency and who is not. If you call for flight following, ATC will put in a flight plan and a full data block with your call sign, altitude, and speed will then be displayed next to the target

Last edited:
Part of the ADS-B and even Mode S ES has the ability to set a "flight ID" separate of the ICAO registration. When it does, the flight ID can be set on the transponder control by the flight crew. A flight ID is intended for use by operators with agreed to flight numbers like airlines and flight schools. I am surprised you can't see a flight ID on the tags.

Is there anything in your display that lets you know the GPS data is from a 2020 compliant or non-compliant GPS position source?
A lot of us fly with WAAS capable GPS that does not have the FAA stamp of approval.

No. We are not officially using this data yet and all we know is the call sign. I'm sure as we get closer to 2020 things will be changing.

I think the point is that your cell phone company knows where you are (or at least your phone is) at all times as well ... so if you're worried about being tracked, leave it home, or put it in airplane mode, or turn it off completely.

Of course, your phone position doesn't end up on flightaware ...

Back