What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data Plate Alternative

N130WN

Well Known Member
Is this an acceptable data plate? The embossed text is certainly more readable that some of the engraved alternatives.

view

Source: http://www.mydogtag.com/

Last edited:
As long as it is fireproof, attached permanently to the airframe, and contains; Make, Model, and Serial Number as shown on the registration, you should be fine.

See FAR part 45.11(a) for details.

I did not want a data tag with all of the info that comes on the pre made ones from Van's or Aircraft Spruce so I made my own.

I took an existing blank data tag and used the back side of it. I setup a word document with the minimum info (ref Mel's post above). Once I had the font size and spacing that I wanted I printed it on a sticky label and then stuck the printed label to the material I was going to use. I then took a electric engraver and traced the lettering. I then trimmed the material down to leave just enough room for a rivet in each corner. Once done I polished the plate along with the rest of the plane and the results I was very happy with. I will look thru my photos to see if I have something I can post, if not I will take a picture the next time I'm out at the airport.

I figured I built the entire plane so making my own data tag was right in line with this.

Last edited:
If you go look around the local hanger you will find that planes built before the 1970 or whenever they started requiring the data tags had them added and they are of varied styles and materials.

...I figured I built the entire plane so making my own data tag was right in line with this.

I went to a local trophy shop and what they come up with wasn't acceptable. They couldn't seem to deal with the hard metal. I got a piece of stainless steel and a Dremel tool and just freehanded it. Still not pretty, but as is so often the case, it is much better than what the professionals came up with.

Back