What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-6 eng mount/gear on a -7?

Chattin35

Well Known Member
I called Vans this morning and apparently the -6 and -7 engine mounts/gear are compatible. Has anyone done this? Any gotchas?

Are they pre-drilled?

One advantage to the -7 (and -9) is that all the gear leg bolt holes are drilled in a jig at the factory. Thus, if you need a replacement gear leg or engine mount, you simply order the part, slide it in, and bolt it in place.

If the -6 engine mount is not pre-drilled, you will have a challenge lining up the gear legs and drilling the hole.

6A mount/nose gear

Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)

but when I ordered a new engine mount and nose gear strut I asked for an identical mount for my 1995 vintage RV6A. The box arrived marked 7A. After installing the O320 and finally working on closing up the cowling I discovered the engine was approximately 1/2 inch forward of the previous location.

This required serious baffle trimming, fiberglass trimming, etc.

Carl

Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)

but when I ordered a new engine mount and nose gear strut I asked for an identical mount for my 1995 vintage RV6A. The box arrived marked 7A. After installing the O320 and finally working on closing up the cowling I discovered the engine was approximately 1/2 inch forward of the previous location.

This required serious baffle trimming, fiberglass trimming, etc.

Carl

But you did end up with a far better CG.................:D

conversion

I am converting from an old RV6A (pre 2000) engine mount to a recent RV6/7 A mount which came today. The difference is that the engine moves forward between 1/2 and 5/8 inches. We looked at the interference with the James Cowl and the only place that looks like a problem is the alternator pulley wheel. For my cowl, it looks like it will clear by an 1/8-1/4 inch. The question, with the Lycoming IO360M1B is the way it vibrates? I will know better in a couple of days once we have the new mount in place. The other thing that needs taking care of is the cowl to spinner distance. With the old mount, the distance was about 1/4 inch and very uniform. The engine/constant speed prop have an extension of about 2.5 inches in the current configuration. I may look at trimming the spacer to have the prop remain in its original position. I will have the two mounts side by side tomorrow and I can look at details.

Back