What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Initial review of the low cost AP510 APRS Tracker

n468ac

Well Known Member
INITIAL REVIEW of the low cost AP510 APRS Tracker with GPS/Bluetooth/Thermometer/TF Card Support/APRSdroid.

This is a small portable aprs tracker. So far I like it, but will report back over the summer as I make some long distance travels.

PROs
self powered
easy to program
smart + manual beaconing
records data to flash card
portable
active Yahoo Group for english support
metal case (except top where GPS chip is installed)
use any mini USB cable for charging

CONs
battery life unknown (some report 24 hours with two min beacons)
bluetooth limited to android
1 watt output
Thermometer built into unit
special programing cable need (comes with unit)

Found: (also on EBAY)
http://www.sainsonic.com/ap510-aprs-tracker-vhf-with-gps-bluetooth-thermometer-tf-card-support-aprsdroid.html

Flight Tracking:
APRS.if_2015-04-20.jpg

AP510, using old GPS suction cup mount and 3M mounting tape:
AP510-1.jpg

AP510-2.jpg

My configuration:
AP510-041015.jpg

Thanks for the initial test review. I've been curious how these perform. I already have a solution for my airplane but this is nice that is a portable option - great for when flying with someone else or for those in certified airplanes.

I'll watch for any updates you find share-worthy!

UPDATE - 12-20-2015

I've found this little tracker to work much better then I expected! I've got my configured to transmit every 120 seconds, I'm not using the "smart beaconing" functions. With it setup for a 120 second transmission I found the battery to last 16 hours. Thats enough time for my flights.

Here is a screen shot from yesterdays flight C09 to CMX at 3500 feet. The return trip CMX to C09 at 8500 feet. You can see i got my packets received all along the way from this little 1 watt tracker.

APRS-FLIGHT-12-19-15-C09-CMX-C09.jpg

Back