What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sport Pilot Training Question

aggie1998

I'm New Here
Does all flight training for a sport pilot certificate have to be done in an LSA aircraft? I realize that solo flight and the flight exam have to be done in an LSA aircraft, but what about time with an instructor?

Short answer is no. Training in any airplane can count towards the required training time. However, as you indicated you would not be able to solo in any aircraft but LSA (61.89(c)) and the practical test would be conducted in an LSA.

Sport Pilot

Sport pilot training can be done in a non LSA. However you will need to transition to a LSA to solo and test. This will increase your training time and cost but it is doable. If getting the 3rd class medical is without risk, it would probably be close to the same time and cost to get your PPL using the same plane.

A few months back I was in the same boat. It is about $25 a hour less to rent a 172 at my local airport than the Cessna Skycatcher which is an hour away. My initinal plan was to build time with a local CFI in the 172 and transition the the Skycatcher when I was close to soloing.

I called up the preferred CFI at my local airport and was shocked with what he had to say. His response was DON'T Do it! He is a former Airforce Pilot and very well respected. His concern is the difference in flying a LSA vs. 172 or even a 152. He told me, it will cost me more money in the long run as the transition training from the 172 to the 162 would be more than a couple hours.

So, I followed his advice and I am very glad I did (he was right). I previously had 10 hours logged in a 152 and 172 (years back) and the LSA is a completely different plane to fly. In talking to my current CFI, he as many PPL who come to him to get checked out the 162 and it is a big adjustment for most of them. He swears, if you can fly the 162 well on a windy day, you can fly any 172....

I would recommend learning to fly in the airplane you are going to solo in and take the PTS in. You will want the hours in it. Something else to consider is the transition from Steam Gauges to a Glass Cockpit. That in it self took me a few flight lessons to really get comfortable with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to know it's doable

In this case neither plane has a glass panel so that shouldn't cause a problem. The other issue causing me to consider training in a 172 is that the LSA instructor is a CFI-S. It is my understanding that if I were to pursue a private pilot certificate my training from a CFI-S would not count. I would want a private certificate if they ever do away with the third class medical requirement. I've got my fingers crossed.

It is about $25 a hour less to rent a 172 at my local airport than the Cessna Skycatcher...

That is bizarre! Very cheap 172 rental, very expensive 162 rental, or both? Over here all LSAs are in the $100-115/hr range and all 172s are in the $150-160/hr range. Not a huge difference but pretty consistent across airports.

Back