What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avidyne and Sorcerer

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
Anyone out there running an Avidyne 540 and a Sorcerer on the 3.64 code? I just installed the 540 and upgraded the Sorcerer at the same time and I am having some tracking discrepancies, both when in heading mode and in NAV mode and I am thinking it might be the Sorcerer code. I've swapped the Sorcerer with another RV-10 that has a G3X panel installed and we noted the same problems.

Thanks.

Vic

What is it doing exactly? I have a Sorcerer that was doing wierd things in track mode after an update.

off set course

The heading will fly about 3 dgrees off and the course line tracks off center by about one needle width on the CDI. You can see that the track is not centered on the Avidyne, the EFIS, and the CDI.
I even swapped Sorcerers with another airplane (same code level) and got the same results.

Vic

Hi Vic,

I'm looking into this right now with engineering. As soon as I have something I will let you know.

Quick edit: Vic, I assume you have a switch installed for selecting which ARINC source the AP is using, correct? Is it possible that both the 540 and the EFIS are sending ARINC commands to the autopilot at the same time? This could absolutely cause it to fly off course.

Last edited:
Baffled

Lucas, thanks for responding. Been trying to get a hold of you all day. Here's what I've done:

Verified all wiring a dozen times (honestly). I have verified that I only have ARINC A & B in going to both the Autopilot and 540 (they are Tee'd together since I took the switch out on this panel upgrade. Yes, I used to have the switch to select EFIS or GNS 430, but Rob says that wasn't needed anymore so I took it out and tied them together) One lead is not connected.

I verified with the 540 out that no other connections are to the ARINC lines on the Sorcerer. Here is how they are connected:

Sorcerer 540
26 48
27 49

540 ARINC out is on pins 46 & 47 to the ARINC module.

RS232 to the Sorcere is on pins 25 and 3 (I know you told me 7, but it wasn't talking to the EFIS on 7 and I verified with an LED signal tester that the OUT was on 3, and it is now talking to the EFIS)

Here's what happens:

The autopilot will track off course on what appears to be a converging course to the target in all of these modes: 540 GPS direct to, EFIS Internal Flight plan Direct to, and ILS NAV it will also track a converging course to the MAP. The EFIS screen in ALL cases shows that it is sending a correction to the autopilot but the autopilot is not correcting.

In HEADING mode it flies about 3 degrees OFF. If I use the EFIS control panel to fly LEVEL, it turns to the right.

I tried the autopilot in a mode by itself just engaging it so it showed bank angle and it wanted to turn even though it said 0.

I am open to anything, but I don't see how this could be wiring at this point. And I've gone over the wiring every which way to Sunday to verify it is according to the diagrams.

Let me know what else you need. I would love to be able to see the information going TO the Sorcerer but haven't figured out how to do that.

Thanks.

Vic

TT is working on it

Turns out I discovered a bug. TT has been working on it and hopes to have something by OSH.

Vic

Turns out I discovered a bug. TT has been working on it and hopes to have something by OSH.

Vic

Lumping this in with some other planned changes so we do one software release instead of two. I have some final testing at the end of this week in an Evolution to do, then we should be out with the new software.

Back