What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine limits

jay.pearlman

Well Known Member
I am beginning phase one and will be updating engine limits into my Dynon EMS. Can anyone supply the max, normal and min for an IO360M1B with constant speed prop for oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, CHT, etc? I have some of the numbers from the pilot operator's manual and am looking for a complete set.

I am beginning phase one and will be updating engine limits into my Dynon EMS. Can anyone supply the max, normal and min for an IO360M1B with constant speed prop for oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, CHT, etc? I have some of the numbers from the pilot operator's manual and am looking for a complete set.
Do you have a Lycoming Operating Manual? They should all be listed in there.

From my Lycoming Operating Manual O-360, HO-360, IO-360, AIO-360, HIO-360 & TIO-360 Series, Part No. 60297-12:
Oil Temp: Desired: 160 to 180*F depending on the OAT. 245*F Max
Oil Pressure: Max 95, Min 55, idling 25 PSI
Fuel Pressure: Max 35, Min -2 (I don't understand the -2 minimum, but that's what is listed in the manual.)
CHT: 500*F Max (For max service life, maintain cylinder heat temperature between 150*F and 400*F during continuous operation.)

Oil temp for takeoff can be performed after you can add full throttle without the engine stumbling, no minimum oil temperature is listed.

(That said, I wait until all CHT's are 200*F before taxiing.)

Last edited:
IO 360 M1A Type Certificate Data Sheet

I would tend to use the values published in the FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet when an Operators Manual is not available. 1E10 is the TCDS for that engine. I would use those values even it if is an EXPERIMENTAL Engine.

The "specifications document" from Lycoming has this information, and more. $$

You must use your engine specific information to get the correct one. I called and customer service was fantastic!

Update limits

Thanks for the inputs. Here is what I have from the manuals and IE10. The values are for max, high of normal ops, low of normal ops and minimum

Characteristic (units) Max (top red) Top Green Bottom Green Min
Fuel Pressure (psi) 35 --- -2
Oil Temperature (degF) 245 180 140
Oil Pressure (psi) 115 95 55 25
Tach- rpm 2700 2600 2350 600
MP

Ammeter 20 15 -10 -15
Voltmeter 16 14 10 9
Cyl Temp 500 400 150
EGT ??????

Last edited:
thread comments

Gil,
The thread you suggest is excellent. It does not appear to address the I0360M1B although some of the items are certainly more generic.

Back