What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip Lens

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Is there anything that will remove a Sharpie pen mark from the wingtip lens without damaging the lens? On a piece of scrap I tried mineral spirits, paint thinner, and Coleman Fuel to no avail. I also tried Acetone but it damaged the plastic. Any suggestions?

Have you tried alcohol or MEK (or MEK substitute)? I know I've taken Sharpie marks off of mine, but I don't recall what I used. In the shop I have alcohol, acetone, "MEK substitute" from Lowe's and isopropyl alcohol. I know one of those worked without damaging the plastic. If I get a chance to get out there today I'll see if I can check which one works. Right now I'm out of airplane building mode and putting in a closet instead.

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol works very well and does nothing to the plexi.

Jerry

+1 - always begin with the lowest solvent on the totem pole. alcohol in this case. I have 5 bottles of rubbing alcohol so one won't be far away. (they won't fit in my pocket like cleco pliers)

+2 for starting with the mild stuff and working up the ladder.

I usually go in this order: Water, then alcohol (two polar solvents) and then jump over to mineral spirits (non-polar). After that, acetone (polar) and lastly a coin toss on MEK (polar) or lacquer thinner (toluene, non-polar).

Lacquer thinner removes sharpie from aluminum, surprised it did not remove the mark on your test piece although I expect it would damage the plastic since Plexiglas is not resistant to toluene

Last edited:
Dry erase marker

I know a dry erase marker will take permanent marker off of a white board...could possibly work on the lens too!

Best thing I have found to remove a sharpie is a sharpie. I wrote all over a new dry erase marker board in a conference room with a sharpie that someone set on the marker tray. I tried everything to get it off. What worked best was writing over the letters with the sharpie and wiping it off before it dried. I had a 30 minute lecture on a 4' x 12' board before I realized I had a sharpie in my hand.

Back