What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Belt Sander

jeffwhip

Well Known Member
Ok, guys I'm busy putting my shop together before my RV-10 is delivered the end of the month and I have this question for you. If I have a bench grinder & band saw, then do I really need a belt sander? I will be building an RV-10 QB. Thanks for the replies.

YES, you will want a belt sander. Mine has a 4" belt and 5" disk. I use 120 grit on the belt and 80 grit on the disk.

Two things to keep in mind and this has been discussed in the archives many times, do NOT sand steel and aluminum parts with the same belt or disk. The reason is that you will push little bits of steel into your aluminum parts, setting up a dissimilar metal corrosion issue.

As for the grinder, you should NEVER use aluminum on a grinder. The wheel will load up and could explode. Do a Google search on the subject. If you are going to put your deburring wheel on the grinder, that is a different story. (I put my deburring wheel in my drill press and turned it down as slow as it can go.)

You are also going to need/want a drill press. I have a 12" bench top model.

Buy the biggest bench top vise you can find and bend up some aluminum covers for its jaws and make a set for you drill press vise. This will keep you from buggering up your soft parts in the steel jaws.

Good luck with your build and don't be afraid to use the search function, there is a LOT of good information in there.

Last edited:
Yes.

I have an inexpensive Ryobi belt and disk sander. Since I didn't have a quick build, I can't say how many parts you still have to fabricate.

The sander the I used extensively was one similar to one of these from Harbor Freight. It came in really handing for the finish kit, especially for things like the doors.

http://t.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-bandfile-belt-sander-92158.html

Mine was from a different OEM. I also had an air driven one, but it didn't last long.

Belt sander

Yes. I use a regular hand held belt sander
By Makita designed to be put on its side on a flat surface.
Good for other projects where you need a hand held belt sander.
80 grit. Use gloves. Parts get warm. Belt sand then polish
With a 3m wheel on the bench grinder. A must in my opinion.
Ridged makes a good one you can buy at Home Depot.

I have two belt sanders a 4in and a 1in, if I wanted to just have one, I would choose the 1 in. For me it is much more versitile. Yes, I would have one for a build.

Bird

I bought the 1" belt sander from Harbor Freight for about $35. I think has been one of my very best purchases. I use it for everything.

I also bought a 10" disc sander that I don't use nearly as much.

YES

I use 1" belt sander the most, however the larger one is also nice to have.

12" disc sander is used quite a bit.

Drill press, definitely.

Also, a scotch brite wheel for the grinder, some (many) 1" scotch brite wheels for the die grinder, scotch brite wheels for the dremel, too.

Yes.

I have an inexpensive Ryobi belt and disk sander. Since I didn't have a quick build, I can't say how many parts you still have to fabricate.

The sander the I used extensively was one similar to one of these from Harbor Freight. It came in really handing for the finish kit, especially for things like the doors.

http://t.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-bandfile-belt-sander-92158.html

Mine was from a different OEM. I also had an air driven one, but it didn't last long.
I've got the Ryobi belt/disc combo as well?.nice unit! The only real issue has been a little melting of the plastic angle guide when, for instance, I'm sanding down a tubular spacer or something and the work gets too hot!

Thank you for all the replies and yes, I have been using the search function often. Speaking of drill presses, which drill press do you guys recommend? I would like to get one with a laser that is accurate but haven't been able to narrow which model to get. FYI, I have spent hours researching this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I currently have:
1) Grizzly band saw (Like new off of Craigs list...$200!)
2) Delta Bench grinder
3) 30 Gallon Industrial Air compressor
4) Isham tool kit + more.
5) I have a good vice but don't have the right jaws for it.

A laser on a drill press is fluff. Hole positions should be centerpunched before drilling in order to guide the drill bit entry. A laser does none of that.

Tools

Yeah, that laser is just a gimmick. It doesn't make the drill press any more accurate, that's for sure.

Get a decent drill press and spend the time to make sure it is set up correctly...for that matter, you should spend the time to make sure ALL of your tools are set up correctly. It takes a little time in the beginning but will pay off during your entire build.

I have a 14" Jet floor standing drill press and have been very happy with it.

Along with the previous post, a good center punch is also a must. I have an automatic center punch, and would highly recommend them...just get a decent one...

Thanks Bill and rocketman. Can you give me the names of some good automatic center punches? From what I understand, Jet and Delta make quality drill presses.

Thanks Bill and rocketman. Can you give me the names of some good automatic center punches?

They have their uses, but you'll do better to grind your own prick punch and center punch. The prick punch sets the location. The center punch guides the drill bit.

iv906q.jpg

2ikfx55.jpg

I like the automatic punches as they are one handed...no need to pick up a hammer.

I bought one from ATS and I think it was about $20 at Oshkosh. I have tried the Harbor Freight version, not impressed...

I have both Jet and Delta machines. Not real impressed with the low end Delta stuff but they work. I like the Jet but it definitely was not $59...

The 4 inch bench type belt sander is THE TOOL for working with the fiberglass pieces like wheel pants - getting to the scribe lines quickly and accurately. You will want the spring loaded punch that you depress then it strikes. They are cheap.

+1
I wore out a Craftsman 4" belt sander with an 8" disc.
Well, it still works, but pieces are starting to fall off...But it did last long enough to build my RV-8.
The Harbor Freight ones have a 6" disc, I don't think it's big enough.
I bought a H.F. 10" disc only sander, that's a good one.
I 'want' to try the 1" belt sander which I suppose would be the ticket at inside corners?
I have a 3/8" belt sander, air drive w/ pistol grip. Very useful, like super sanding with your finger tip, but the belts break too soon at the glue joint.
I have my dad's old Starrett spring loaded center punch. +++!

Last edited:
Belt Sanders..

To get back to the original subject...

I have 3 belt sanders.. one is large with a 8" disc and about 4" belt.. WHICH I ALMOST NEVER USE...

I have the 1x30 from Harbor freight which I used extensively on deburring aluminum..

I have a 1/2" hand held belt sander (also from harbor freight) which I use extensively on the fiberglass canopy and doors. Get the paid warranty since mine quit after about 75 hrs or so. Bought a second (with warranty)..

I have a 8" deburring disc from Bob Avery which I mounted on a vertical 1/3 hp motor with an arbor which I use extensively for finer deburring of aluminum.

Can't get by without them.

Drill press

Thank you for all the replies and yes, I have been using the search function often. Speaking of drill presses, which drill press do you guys recommend? I would like to get one with a laser that is accurate but haven't been able to narrow which model to get. FYI, I have spent hours researching this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I currently have:
1) Grizzly band saw (Like new off of Craigs list...$200!)
2) Delta Bench grinder
3) 30 Gallon Industrial Air compressor
4) Isham tool kit + more.
5) I have a good vice but don't have the right jaws for it.

I don't know that you need the laser on the drill press. You want some speed control, an arbor large enough for the biggest bit and good adjustment so it stays square. That said, mine is a HF and so far seems to be fine. There is a neat little vise that works great on the press. I don't know what it's called but I use it constantly. It also has a centering jig so you can drill perfectly centered holes in round parts like tubing. Maybe someone knows. If not, I can post a photo.
On the vise, fab a few pieces of hardwood and maybe aluminum. That works for me.
On the punch, get two. Remove the pin from one, chuck it in the drill press and grind the tip down to 3/32". Works great for punching out drilled rivets.

Last edited:
A laser on a drill press is a piece of marketing comedy for sure. Give me a 1947 South Bend 10" bench top drill press any day (if anybody has one that they want to sell, let me know). The drill press in my shop is a heavy Clausing and only ever gets used for 'rough' work anymore. It is Tanya's favorite go-to machine for it's simplicity :). The drill press at the hangar is my 35 yr old Jet from my childhood before I had a clue what a real machine was.

Last edited:
Another recommendation

Harbor Freight sells a 1/2" wide handheld belt sander called a Bandfile made by Chicago Electric. I found it to be absolutely indispensable when fitting fiberglass components (which there are a lot of). They cost under $40, but get the replacement warranty for an additional $14 as they don't last long under hard use. I'm on my second one.

Back