What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connecting Manifold pressure lines

Stepclimb

I'm New Here
I hope someone can help me with this. My existing Manifold pressure line is 1/4 in nylon tubing. I am installing an insight G3 analyzer which has an AN-2 male flare fitting. Normally AN-2 would connect to aluminum tubing of 1/8 in OD.

I can tee off of the nylon tubing and run 1/4" OD nylon tubing to the insight G3, but I'm stumped on how to connect the 1/4" OD nylon to an AN-2 male flare. After searching Spruce for options, I can not find any elegant solutions.

Any ideas ( perhaps with part numbers from spruce or others)

Thanks!

Welcome to VAF!

Drew, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Are you using the primer port in a head to source your manifold pressure???

Last edited:
Thanks Mike!

I'm not sure what you mean about a primer port. From the Lyc IO-360, I've got 1/4 " Nylon tubing running to my analog MP instrument.

I see several manufacturers make brass tee's for 1/4" nylon, but I can't figure out how to get 1/4" nylon tubing to mate to the male AN-2 flare on the back of the G3 instrument.

I had thought of putting together an AN-2 nut and flared 1/8" aluminum tubing, but the 1/8" OD aluminum is considerably smaller than the ID of the 1/4" nylon.

I don't want to introduce a leak in the MP sensing system.

Thanks Mike!

I'm not sure what you mean about a primer port.

The primer port is where the brass fitting with copper tubing is attached in this photo.

primer.jpg

Ok..now I see....in my setup. .the cylinder fitting is 1/8 NPT to AN4 45 degree elbow then 1/4 aluminum tubing...then when it enters the cockpit, there is a fitting that converts from AN4 flare to 1/4 in nylon tubing. The easiest tubing to access under the panel is the 1/4 OD nylon.

I just can't find an elegant solution to join 1/4" OD nylon tubing to a male AN-2 flare....

Drew

I hope someone can help me with this. My existing Manifold pressure line is 1/4 in nylon tubing. I am installing an insight G3 analyzer which has an AN-2 male flare fitting. Normally AN-2 would connect to aluminum tubing of 1/8 in OD.

I can tee off of the nylon tubing and run 1/4" OD nylon tubing to the insight G3, but I'm stumped on how to connect the 1/4" OD nylon to an AN-2 male flare. After searching Spruce for options, I can not find any elegant solutions.

Any ideas ( perhaps with part numbers from spruce or others)

Thanks!

Take a look at this. Larry
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/primertee2.php?clickkey=194657

... I had thought of putting together an AN-2 nut and flared 1/8" aluminum tubing, but the 1/8" OD aluminum is considerably smaller than the ID of the 1/4" nylon...

I'm guessing that the AN fitting is not simply threaded into the G3 analyzer with NPT?

So how about using some heat shrink sleeve on the -2 aluminum hard line so that it makes a nice snug fit inside the 1/4 inch nylon. A couple turns of safety wire as a hose clamp should seal it up nicely.

Rather than a conversion to Nylon, can you run aluminum all the way, using a bulkhead feedthrough at the firewall. Think carefully if a failure or leak in the tubing will cause a failure in one of the cylinders.

I'm guessing that the AN fitting is not simply threaded into the G3 analyzer with NPT?

So how about using some heat shrink sleeve on the -2 aluminum hard line so that it makes a nice snug fit inside the 1/4 inch nylon. A couple turns of safety wire as a hose clamp should seal it up nicely.

Michael,

Thanks! I had not considered heat shrink, but that might just do the trick.

For the life of me, I don't know why Insight used an AN-2 male flare. It would have been easier if it was female NPT. I have not tried to remove the AN-2 fitting. I am concerned it may have sealant on the threads or a nut on the back(inside the instrument)that I don't know about.

Instead of safety wire, I might use 2 small cable ties to cinch down the nylon over the heat-shrinked hard line.

Hi Larry,

I saw that tee, but was concerned that the description mentioned that the larger two barbed fittings were for 1/4" ID fuel line. My nylon MP line is 1/4 OD with .050 wall. I don't think the nylon is flexible enough to stretch that much.

I used it to tee the P mag -2 hose into the 1/4 hose from the cylinder to MAP sensor when adding the p mags. worked great. Just 0ne of a dozen ways to getter done. Good luck

Back