What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to put the GRT EIS in an RV-8A

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
The GRT EIS is a very nice piece of gear, but lets face it....its ugly.

I do not particularly want it taking up my limited panel real estate since as far as I can tell, all the information on it is also on the Sport screen. So, if you do not put it on the panel, where can it go in an 8A?

If it is located on the port side of the cockpit in the area where the fuel guages normally go, you have to relocate the fuel guages or use two of your AUX ports on the GRT Sport for fuel level indication. I can't imagine where you could relocate the fuel guages anyway.

I have aft rudders so the area under the flat panel aft of the fuel selector is also out.

Any ideas?

The GRT EIS is a very nice piece of gear, but lets face it....its ugly.

I do not particularly want it taking up my limited panel real estate since as far as I can tell, all the information on it is also on the Sport screen. So, if you do not put it on the panel, where can it go in an 8A?

If it is located on the port side of the cockpit in the area where the fuel guages normally go, you have to relocate the fuel guages or use two of your AUX ports on the GRT Sport for fuel level indication. I can't imagine where you could relocate the fuel guages anyway.

I have aft rudders so the area under the flat panel aft of the fuel selector is also out.

Any ideas?

Most RV-10's put the EIS behind the panel. Shouldn't be an issue, since all the alarms are duplicated on the EFIS.

How about three EFIS and a VP-200? This is a photo of Matt Dralle's RV-8. You can see more details at: http://www.mykitlog.com/MattsRV8 I couldn't quickly see where he mounted his EIS.

FP21042010A00021.jpg

Last edited:

Who needs dedicated fuel gauges? I have been flying without them for 1280 hours now in the -8. The EIS is a more reliable display than the float senders, and if you have a fuel flow system, that will probably be your prime system.

Something to consider.

Paul

It's not so ugly if you back mount it, then label the buttons like the rest of the panel.

2j1kilj.jpg

Last edited:
Another Option Tony...

There are a few metal bezel covers out there. Here's mine. Got it from Stein Air. He had two different types at the time.

vfa2c8.jpg

BTW- Nice work Dan. I look forward to joining up with you in the southern skies soon!

When you have a REALLY full RV8 Panel (we've done several) one place you can use if you have a T/D is to put it down at the intersection of the floor and thr lower right gear tower angled up tosards the pilot. Since the EIS when coupled with the EFIS is sort of redundant and you don't really need it other than to change settings (or use sometimes immediately at start or during backup) that area can work out well.

Anyway, just another option to think about.

Cheers,
Stein

I find the EIS to be very helpful as you can tell by the picture.;)
I have a slave mounted right lower panel adjacent to the fuel gauges
082.jpg

Back