What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I want a freakin' cup holder!

cnpeters

Well Known Member
Ideas for cup holders? I WILL have one. May try in a center console (still not sold whether to make one vs have some lateral leg room), or a pull out from the dash like some vehicles have, though I believe there isn't much room. Oh yeah, I'm 6'2". Any ideas that people have done?

Might try to get one mounted along the outside cockpit wall. Down by your left knee. Other than rudder cables, there's not much in the way there. You'd have to use your "stick hand" to reach it, would be the only problem.

Make sure it's deep enough so that your Big Gulp drink doesn't end up on the floor in turbulence!:D

Apparently those unfortunate enough to be flying nosewheels :)D) are fortunate enough to have a built in cup holder in the gear mount where it meets the center section.

Last edited:
Problem solved!

M6177.jpg

Available here for the low price of $10.95. Don't forget to install a relief tube.

Wherever you put it make sure it doesn't interfere with your seatbelt release. Ask me how I know. :eek:
tm

Are you sure about the cup holder? Because a cup holder begats a relief tube. Then you take SWMBO up and the relief tube begats an onboard pottie. By that time, you've used up all your useful load and your baggage space for a potty you can't even use, since you're flying the plane and need to remain strapped in...

ultra simple cupholders

Here are the cupholders that ride between the seats in my RV-6:

holders-4.jpg

They were constructed from scrap aluminum stock, painted, and covered with leftover upholstery material:

holders-2.jpg

The edging is automotive vacuum tubing that was slit with an Exacto knife:

holders-3.jpg

Ram Ball?

Why not mount a ram ball on the panel and do something like this?
RAMB132.JPG

and when you are not using it for your drink you can use a ram mount for something else, GPS, computer, DVD player for the wife on the long cross country.

I use one of those plastic cup holders with a slider adjustment, you can buy at any auto parts store or Walmart. It fits perfectly between the seats on top of the tunnel cover. Attach it with velcro strips. Costs only a few bucs.

I have one of these in my -9:

$8.49 from West Marine. Total installation time, about two seconds.

Here's what I did....

So I've seem most of the retractable ones, but many of them don't fit standard bottles (for water or soda, I really only keep bottles in the cockpit). I decided on the last plane that as long as we had to have that intrusive center tunnel thing for the fuel pump, I just as well make good use of the room.

I took some foam, carved out a shape, made a plug and then laid up a nice carbon fiber cup holder. It was really nice looking, but we ended up covering it with leather to match the interior. Now it fits standard bottles as well as cans or cups. The inserts are automotive rubber so things don't bang around.

Not perfect, but the best I could come up with and not have anything too intrusive elsewhere and still hold bottles!

Cheers,
Stein

panels4.jpg

Last edited:
Cup holder and step

No more building so I'm feel lost these days with what to do with some of that left over scrap.

I didn't like the ideal of stepping on my seat to get in the airplane. So I made a step that doubles as my cup holder.

It will mount between the seats and I can't wait to try it out. If I like it, then I'll paint it.

Let's phrase it this way....If it gives way when I use it, the drink it holds better be of the diet variety.

closedlu9.jpg

openhy6.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have drawings?

Webb -

Do you have any drawings of the cup holder/step? If not just a narrative about the material you used, and a couple more pictures from different angles would give some more clues about how you fabricated the item.

Neat idea!!

Haackeye

Be happy to get a few more pictures.

Webb -

Do you have any drawings of the cup holder/step? If not just a narrative about the material you used, and a couple more pictures from different angles would give some more clues about how you fabricated the item.

Neat idea!!

Haackeye

I'll shoot a few more pics for you this weekend. The front and rear are just angle pieces. The sides are flat thick pieces. I used 3/4" angle for the side brackes. Lightening holes in all sides. Used a AN3 bolt and aluminum tube over top of it. The top is thick piece and the hinge is made from 3/4" angle with part of it cut off and a thin washer between the hinge and the side. Non skid on the top. My materials are overkill but it is what I had in the scrap box. Weighs in about 8 oz.

What I have noticed. For a step, it is a bit too forward and takes a bit of balancing to get in and out. I rate it a 7 out 10 right now.

It does sit right on top of the middle spar so it will hold an elephant. No plans, just an eyeball and a ruler - planned as I went.

Looking forward to the additional pictures

Thanks, Webb!

Good thing it will hold an elephant, cause at about 230# it will need to be strong to hold me :)

What size is the aluminum tube for the AN3 bolt?

Larre Haack
"Haackeye"

I don't have any pictures, but I just bought one from the local auto parts store. It's plastic with a slider for sizing and fits between the seats on the tunnel cover. Costs about $2 or $3. I used velcro to secure it.

I saw one

in the local trailer/rv supply store. It is a black plastic tri-fold device (like a wallet) with an end leg attaching (velcro/screws/tape) to a vertical suface. It will hold standard cups and cans, no Big Gulps. Cost was around $8.

Steve

Tube size

Thanks, Webb!

Good thing it will hold an elephant, cause at about 230# it will need to be strong to hold me :)

What size is the aluminum tube for the AN3 bolt?

Larre Haack
"Haackeye"

Pardon not knowing the size but it is the hard aluminum tube that spacers are cut from that will allow an AN3 bolt to pass through. I used it between the angle pieces so that when tightened, it would take the stress of them.

The verdict it in

Drum roll please..........

Thumbs down. Several issues:

1 - If you put a bottle or can in it, you have to keep you knees together
2 - When not in use - it cuts into the back of the leg just a smidge if you are sitting comfortably with you right knee out just a bit.
3 - Step is too far forward for a graceful entry into the plane. It needs to be back about a foot. Problem occurs since your body's center of gravity is aft about a foot from the step when getting in the plane. Too much leaning back and your foot can slip off.

I took it out but will look at the next project to incorporate an armrest and bottle holder. Yes - it's builder's withdrawal but it's at least healthy, fun, and occaissionally, I get something that is truly worth it.

Back