What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to mount the Ray Allen trim servo

rfinch

Well Known Member
Minor question. Need to mount the Ray Allen elevator trim tab servo to the EET-602B Z brackets; Vans plans (Dwg 4) say to use hardware supplied with the servo, but I don't think I got that. And Ray Allen's instructions don't specify. Bolts would work of course, and rivets seem doubtful given the plastic servo case. I will call Ray Allen tomorrow but wanted to check the VAF Source also.

The servo should have had some brackets in the box... Z shaped brackets to mount the servo to the inspection plate. The brackets are riveted to the cover after you drill the holes. Make sure that you TEST FIT and check alignment before drilling, the measurements on the plans are off by about an 1/8th of an inch. If you do not catch this before you drill the holes, you'll likely end up having to cut the hole that the servo arm passes though bigger.

Screws.

In the 10, I seem to remember I had to drill out the holes just a tiny bit to fit the screws called out---------#6??

Nut plates on the bottom of the bracket, but again, this was a 10 trim system, I am pretty sure you will have room for nut plates also, may have to use single wing units.

Good luck.

In my case, there were two Z-brackets included in the empennage parts I got from Vans - dunno if this is standard or a new change?

http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=25608

1001077zl2.jpg

1001078ay3.jpg

Last edited:
Screws.....I am pretty sure you will have room for nut plates also, may have to use single wing units.

Good luck.
That is more or less what I did. Though fiber nuts would work just as well, using 4 single leg #6 nutplates on the upper flange of the Z brackets, I attached the servo to the two brackets. The servo/bracket assembly was then located over the cover. When proper clearance was assured, I drilled for and installed rivets through the cover and the lower flange of the Z brackets.

Last edited:
Just called Ray Allen, they recommend 6-32 screws to attach to servo to the Z brackets; I'll consider nutplates there. Then rivets to attach the brackets to the cover plate. Thanks guys for your replies too!

Back