What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two of my three HX units seem to fail...

MauleDriver

Well Known Member
I?m at 1,000 hours on my ?10 and a few things seem to be failing. One of two voltage regulators failed but I flew with one until I could swap it out - it?s good to have redundancy. At 800 hours I swapped out my Slicks for rebuilds and seemed to gain 2-3 knots... I guess rebuilds at 500 hours is a good idea.

Then, 2 flights after swapping out the regulator, one HX wouldn?t boot up. Did I pull a wire or something? After swapping the 3 units around trying to do some problem resolution, a second wouldn?t boot. Something I did must be killing them! Fortunately with three, I could still fly on nice sunny days.

The tech at GRT listened to my story and said just send them in, probably just a random failure then a coincidence. Oh, okay...

Within a week I get them both back, they fixed what was wrong and I?m back in business.

Unlike the other failures, I was charged exactly zero... wassup with that? The units are about 10 years old and I would have gladly paid the fare.

Good folks there at GRT. Whenever I upgrade, I?ll be back! Thank You. 👍🏾👍🏾

Nice kudos to GRT support!

Did they indicate what had failed in them? Mine is getting to be about that age.

The tech at GRT listened to my story and said just send them in, probably just a random failure then a coincidence. Oh, okay...

Within a week I get them both back, they fixed what was wrong and I?m back in business.

Good folks there at GRT. Whenever I upgrade, I?ll be back! Thank You. 👍🏾👍🏾

That is great service. It's been over two weeks since I sent my D-180 back to Dynon after the screen went blank.

Did they indicate what had failed in them? Mine is getting to be about that age.

Yes I'm too curious what they said.

Agreed - Kudos for GRT for sure. Those guys actually call you back when you leave a message! Amazing!

I was told that some "locking ribbon cable connectors" had not been properly locked at initial assembly, and now, years later, some were vibrating loose. The fix is just to re-insert and lock the connector.

They did but to be honest I let it blow by me without comprehension. All I recall is that in both cases it was hardware and involved re-seating and/or replacing some internal video related connector(s). Since I will never open one of these up, unless it is software related, I'm just not fully engaged.

It works/ it doesn't work: an attitude that seems strange even to myself but after a career of IT problem solving, I'm either burnt out or pick my spots more carefully.

Back