What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeing in the Dark

This is what this would cost in a certified plane

FYI: An article from AOPA highlights a new infrared system for certified planes.

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articl...day.html?WT.mc_id=130111epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan

" Cessna has provisioned the three models of piston singles to accept the Max-Viz system for the last couple of years, making for easy retrofits. Retrofit systems are available for $30,051. Installations are only available through Cessna dealers. When ordered on a new airplane, the upgrade is $22,145. "

Recent Updates

I've now had the FLIR pod installed for a month and a half, but unfortunately, there was a long hiatus when we went on Christmas holiday without airplanes...and the weather here in Houston has been downright horrid the past few weeks - so not a lot of flying. I have gone up a few times with the FLIR, however, once to chase a few rain showers to see how they looked, and another tie to get my instrument currency for the quarter. The FLIR continues to be amazing on an instrument approach, at least in clear weather and poor light. The runway markings show up very well, and there is just something about a real picture (even a false-color, B&W picture) that gives more depth to the runway environment than you get with synthetic vision.

On the rain shower flight, it became obvious that the limitations of this FLIR camera is in differentiating between small temperature differences. It had been raining for about 24 hours, and it was a cool rain. The area between here and the coast is mostly filled with salt grass prairie and rice fields all almost at sea level, which means most of the area was about as wet as it could get without being totally flooded (and much was actually flooded). The net result was that almost everything was the same temperature, and therefore - all the same color. There was very little differentiation. You could make out roads, but that was about it. Likewise, when looking through rain, the rain was pretty much opaque, just as clouds appear to be.

So the bottom line is that this is still a pretty useful tool for night flying and getting a very good picture in poor lighting. But be aware that it won't see through clouds, and if an area is heavily saturated, it will be hard to differentiate between terrain features (at least here in the flat land - hills and mountains would probably be different).

It is a very useful tool to have handy, but like all tools, it has its limitations - and pilots need to be aware of them. I still mark it as a net positive, especially at night.

So...to bring this back from the dead...whatever happened to the FLIR option? I'm not seeing it on the GRT website, yet it's still a button option on my HXr.

So...to bring this back from the dead...whatever happened to the FLIR option? I'm not seeing it on the GRT website, yet it's still a button option on my HXr.

It's still there in a number of places along with a video and also on the price list...and still available. We've sold a number of these to GRT folks who are quite happy with them. It's listed as a $4500 option with the superbly crafted and specialized carbon mounting pod.

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
For all of you Dynon SkyView owners

On the Dynon Forum.

"Video input is a feature that we previewed at Sun 'N Fun 2014. It is not in the current software, so it is not something we are advertising in our literature yet. We expect it to be in the next major release.

It will require purchase of a USB video adapter, as well as the updated software. It will not require the upgrade to the touchscreen.

We'll have more information soon."

Brian

so will this work with a G3X Touch system which has the BNC video in?

I expect that the video woudl be displayed just fine on the Touch, but it won't be "registered" like on the GRT system (that is, the horizon and boresight line up, the velocity vector agrees, etc). Is this important to you? You'd have to decide. We haven't tried it, but migh have a chance to experiment in the future, and will report if we do.

OK!

Let me ask another question on this subject. As I understand that Flir. has been around for some time now. I asked the people at Garmin during Oshkosh about it with the G-3X display and was told the camera was the very costly, but other than that no big deal. Now I see, that Garmin has it's radios with "NVG" I guess software in stall or something. I know we can get NVG from people like Flighthelmets.com. So how dose this new system with the Garmin radios work and cant we have both night vision through the radio and FLIR on the screen if we so wish it? Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

The Garmin NVG means that the display is compatible with NVG's. Keep in mind FLIR and NVG's are two separate things. FLIR's see heat and NVG's amplify light. Just to clarify for those that are wondering.

The Garmin NVG means that the display is compatible with NVG's. Keep in mind FLIR and NVG's are two separate things. FLIR's see heat and NVG's amplify light. Just to clarify for those that are wondering.

So I take it that the radios that said NVG or just telling you that their display light is good to use with NVG. Like a green lip-light instead of white or red light. I know we can get good NVG on the after market and surplus, but if the lighting system in the cabin will blind it, then I think we have a different out-look on using NVG in the aircraft without the cabin lighting made to work with the NVG's. Is this the jest of it? Thanks. R.E.A. III #80888

I finally got my system installed on the G3X Touch and will be making a video this week

I am using a Max-Viz camera system and it has an output resolution of 320x240, the G3X is stretching this image, but I'm waiting on Garmin to confirm the pixel counts before i calculate how much

one important point for anyone pursuing this on a dual screen implementation, none of the vendors have a way to share video between screens, so you'll have to duplex it somehow on the BNC side of things

SfUlMzF.jpg

and here's a video of me flying w/ this on pattern entry

https://youtu.be/S3fhORGW5t4

Last edited:
I finally got my system installed on the G3X Touch and will be making a video this week

I am using a Max-Viz camera system and it has an output resolution of 320x240...

Looks interesting! Brian would you share your installation? And how does it work in total darkness?

I am using a Max-Viz camera system and it has an output resolution of 320x240, the G3X is stretching this image, but I'm waiting on Garmin to confirm the pixel counts before i calculate how much

one important point for anyone pursuing this on a dual screen implementation, none of the vendors have a way to share video between screens, so you'll have to duplex it somehow on the BNC side of things

SfUlMzF.jpg

We have been interested in FLIR for some time and may have a need for it in the next year or two. I just have a little question for you guys that have installed and are working with it now. How well does it work with Blue Tooth, like if we would like to send it to our I-Pad in a dock around the panel area. As you all know the 8 has a small panel area by it's self. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

SfUlMzF.jpg

Cool video! How are you adding the flight data to it, out of curiousity?

P.S. I like the little dog, too! :)

Cool video! How are you adding the flight data to it, out of curiousity?

P.S. I like the little dog, too! :)

no need to, the flight data is on the left screen...infrared is just a tool to give you more data about what's in front of or beneath you, i've had it for 6months now, lots of winter flying in dark, it pays for itself every single time i avoid a buildup/clouds at night while flying IFR or VFR, i actually had a controller ask me on a moonless night what information i was using for vectors, he had nothing on his radar, and no other airplanes in area asking for deviations- my passenger slept while i gave a smooth ride flicking the heading knob back and forth weaving around the bumpy stuff

it's very reassuring on approaches too, i have my copilot watch the screen, at the first sign of a runway or ground contact, it' time to look out the window- if you can't see it on the infrared, you likely cannot see it out the window (fog, visible moisture, etc is all penetrated by infrared just slightly before your eyes can see it)

has worked out very well for us

We have been interested in FLIR for some time and may have a need for it in the next year or two. I just have a little question for you guys that have installed and are working with it now. How well does it work with Blue Tooth, like if we would like to send it to our I-Pad in a dock around the panel area. As you all know the 8 has a small panel area by it's self. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

It's a video signal, if you want to get a bluetooth adapter for wireless video, I suppose it would work- but so would running the BNC signal to a location where either seat could access it? video switcher?

no need to, the flight data is on the left screen...

I think he meant, how are you getting the flight data embedded in the video, as in the airspeed in the lower left, and your flight path in the lower right.

I'm curious too! :)

-Dj

Sorry guys, its done via the Garmin VIRB system, the camera itself makes a small data file during the flight with all the sensor information and position info, then the video software overlays that- making it quite simple

i'll post more infrared pics up when i have time to go find and sort through some i've taken with my iPhone in flight

to really put a dent in your wallet ( in the nicest way possible ) you can find these garmin VIRB (first generation is what i have) cameras on amazon in used condition (the best value on amazon in my opinion) for under $100

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00EOHUVTU/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Last edited:
Back