What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ENGINE BATTERY

UH1CW2

Well Known Member
Has anyone used the Earth-X battery to crank over a io-360 engine? I have used the Odyssey 925 , the Concord RG-35 AXC, ACS Homebuilt battery. All have either failed or degraded within 3 years. I would like to try a Lithium battery but would like to hear from someone who has installed one and used it in cold weather (Michigan). Any feedback would be appreciated.

I need a battery that will turn the engine over fast just until the Electronic ignition can fire it up with a carbureted fuel system. The Lead acid batteries tend to not support a load after about 3 years and engine crank time and speed diminish.

Phil

Earth X battery

Phil,

I put an EarthX ETX 900 battery in my RV-4 with an IO-360 and a C/S prop. Never seen the prop spin so fast. I had an Odyssey 925 that starting slowing down after less than 3 years. The support from EarthX is excellent and they always respond to e-mails.

Built in circuitry for fault detection with a wire attached to run straight to a warning light. If you get one of these batteries then get their proprietary battery optimizer designed specifically for their advanced batteries.

Best part- I SAVED 23 POUNDS!!

Last edited:
My Odyssey680 lasted for over 7 years and it was in all good condition when I removed it to replace it with EarthX680. I am really hoping that the EarthX will serve me as long as the Oddssey did.

Just in case

You might consider something more conventional with a tried and true lead acid battery.
https://www.amazon.com/18Ah-Sealed-Lead-Battery-Terminals/dp/B001C20T9C
$39 and free shipping. I haved used these for 15 years, replacing them around 5 years for no particular reason other than to know that I have new batteries again. They cranked my 360 and now my 540 with ease and never need anything.
I do have a dual battery system and for obvious reasons I use both for starting but one cranks the engine just fine.
Weight is just around 15 pounds so no match for the super lightweight EarthX
but price and reliability will put you dollars and years ahead of all the certified
And state of the art battery technology.

Thanks for the feedback

I know that I am not going to purchase another lead battery. They only last about 3 years in Michigan even on a battery tender. I am going to try the earth X 1200 series battery. I am a firm believer that more is better when it comes to Hp, fuel and battery power. I have just come to the age that I no longer want to push the plane back in the hanger because the battery was to low to start it.

It always seemed silly to have an airplane and not be able to fly it because the battery was not strong enough on cold days.

Thanks again guys!

Phil

Hi Phil,

Since many others have used all of those batteries successfully, and for longer than 3 years, have you considered the possibility that your short-battery-life experiences might be driven by something other than, but related to, the battery(s)?

Charlie

Battery

With an impulse magneto turning the engine too fast can result in the impulse not engaging. Worst case scenario is the spark occurs too soon and damages the starter. I have not experienced this with the Oddesy 680 but it does occasionally kick back.

You might consider something more conventional with a tried and true lead acid battery.
https://www.amazon.com/18Ah-Sealed-Lead-Battery-Terminals/dp/B001C20T9C

FWIW I did try one of those batteries (that same exact model in the picture), and it had poor performance turning over my O-320 in the summertime. Changed to a 680 and the increase in speed cranking over the engine was noticeable.

I only have 2 years on the 680, but going well so far here in Maine even in the Winter, although if it is below about 10F I don't usually fly much so I can't attest what it would do in truly cold weather.

I am using a 9ah version of that Universal battery on my essential bus, and it seems to be working fine. Its primary purpose is to keep the electrons flowing to the EFIS and electronic ignition during engine crank and it does that job well.

-Dj

Battery tenders KILL batteries

I can't tell you how often I've had this discussion with folks around the airport. This is only from my experience in both certified and now experimental world but I can tell you if you ever meet someone that manufactures batteries and can sit down with them to have a beer and ask them to tell you how to make a battery last a very long time, a battery tender will not come up in the conversation in a positive manner. If you have a lead acid battery just fly your plane often, that's it. Now, if you do want to purchase one of those fancy polymer batteries then you need to understand how those batteries work. I BEG YOU ALL to do your homework. I am not going to discuss it on this forum but as my friends I will tell you my experience if you want to know but privately.

Bottom line, regardless of what battery you choose to put in your plane, make sure you understand the chemistry of it and don't just throw a battery tender on it because that's what the factory "recommends".

I also fly Electric RC planes and let me tell you, the batteries for those things aren't cheap. Almost all electric RC's use LIPO (lithium polymer)batteries. When I first made the move to go from Gas to Electric RCs I really didn't understand LIPO, not many did. After about a year I noticed that the $100+ batteries that I was buying for my RCs were not holding charge properly and I was also reading about these fires that were burning down people's homes and shops where the cause was found to be LIPO. Well that obviously opened my eyes and I started to educate myself on LIP batteries. Not just for safety (although that was the primary motivator) but those darn things were expensive and were only lasting 6 to 12 months. I found out after my research that I was storing my LIPO batteries incorrectly and that I should only store my batteries at around 50% of its fully charged voltage. Imagine my surprise when I found this out and knew that I was charging ALL of my batteries to full charge week after week regardless of how often I was flying RC. Full disclosure here is that I actually thought it was bad for the batteries to be stored if they weren't fully charged. Why? Because I had heard that about other rechargeable batteries such as NiMH batteries. Well shame on me for not doing my research before hand and Thank the Good Lord for those LIPOs not combusting due to my un-educated method of storage.

My point in this long message is please do your homework on what you are putting in your plane and understand the history of it. Manufacturers rarely if ever want to admit they are at fault. Trust me I tried to work with them when we had our incident but I wasn't successful in getting them to put a warning with their product or at least a firm message on how to maintain their batteries.

Battery tenders kill batteries
Could't agree more!

Deej, I can' say that these batteries are as good as a 680 or other such battery
and I am sure temperature influences its performance as it does with most batteries.
The Universal 18amp battery is widely used on our fiels and the only time someone had issues (no longer accepted a full charge) is when it was hooked up to a battery tender.
Getting back to the OPs question, I too want to hear about anyones experience
with an EarthX or similar.

Battery Tender ????

I will start off by saying thank you to everyone who provided feedback. I also wanted to explain a little more about the batteries I have gone through.

I have managed to go through 2 PC925 Oddessys, 1 ACS experimental, 1 Concord RG-35 ACX and a OPTIMUM. Now this is over 15 years. To me that seems like too many batteries. I think one of you hit the nail on the head as to why I may be going through so many of them.... I have always had the airplane on a battery tended if the engine was not running, ALWAYS! I am beginning to question if the tender has been responsible for the degrade in performance over the years of each battery. I have had the same digital tender for 15 years ???

All the batteries cranked the engine like it was running when they were new and as time went on each of the batteries became less and less able to support a load and keep the cranking speed up.

I still need a new battery, the question is what battery and how to maintain it so it provides 100% of its CCA when the ignition is engaged? I still would like to try a Lithium battery just because of the weight and performance gains.

Lots to think about, thanks guys.

We're running the 900 version EarthX in our Tundra (parallel valve IO-360), and it cranks like the wind! You do need a special charger for it if you accidentally discharge it playing with all the toys while sitting the hangar, but with that charger, we've had good luck. Not quite a year on it, so can't speak total lifetime yet.

The only reason we haven't put them in the RV's is that our CG's are good the way they are right now.

Back