What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Architect, steel building, South Carolina

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
I'd like to build a hangar home just east of Aiken. The proposed design exceeds 5000 sq ft of "gross floor area" as defined by the building code, so Aiken County requires plans drawn and stamped by an architect licensed in SC.

At the fundamental level, it's the same as a common all-steel warehouse with an office wing. Do we have an architect in the Vans community who specializes in this area of practice, or can you recommend one?

Attachments

• View Looking South.jpg
    View Looking South.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 230
Architect Stamp

Im not registered in SC but a stamp on a steel structure such as that would typically be provided by a design/build firm or the steel frame supplier if you are going to erect it yourself. YMMV depending on state and local building codes.

I built my own hangar and helped build several others in S.C.. The stamped plans that were supplied by the steel frame supplier were sufficient for our local building permit people.

A hangar home may have additional building code requirements beyond what just a hangar requires. There can be firebreak and other requirements. It might be best to get a local architect involved to avoid expensive surprises.

Sent PM

Dan,

I've sent contact info for a friend there.

Best of luck!

I look forward to purchasing a FW package from you when I'm ready.

Cheers!
Mike

I designed and GC'ed our first home. I was able to find a structural engineer to review my drawings. Once I added all of his info into the blue prints, he signed it and put on his stamp. I suspect you will be able to find an engineer to do the same.

As mentioned above, if this will be a residence that supports habitation, you will likely need a whole bunch more than someone to sign off on the structural components to appease the local regulators. Granted, I built in the Chicago area and expect SC to not be as ridged. I needed drawings that included electrical, pluming, etc. just for a permit. I had to list numerous contractors for the locals to approve before they issued.

Larry

Last edited:
Dan, consider the hangar and a breezeway between it and the house. That eliminates lots of fire code requirements and maybe the 5000' architect signature if it is 2 buildings. You can always enclose the breezeway at a later date.

Back