What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carbon Rail Covers

DanBoyle

Does anybody know where to find carbon fiber rail covers as shown in the attached picture?

Attachments

• carbon rail cover.jpg
    carbon rail cover.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 327
I made my own

I made my own on my 7. Started by taping the rail with packing tape. Back by the cross brace I used hot glue to place some foam blocks in the corner and fill a couple of step down areas. Packing tape over that.

First two layers are glass. Filled, sanded until a great look was present. Then two layers of carbon for the finished look. On the top carbon I squeegeed in epoxy to fill any weave. After curing, I sanded down to 600 wet and dry. When the plane was painted, these were clear coated. They look great and get lots of comments. Also did carbon under the canopy skirt.

Others have used carbon fiber vinyl wrap material. I've got tons of pictures of the process but they are too difficult to post here.

I'll be at Sun and Fun and will have my build book that details the process. Feel free to email me at [email protected] for any other questions.

Back