What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

where is it? what is it? how much did it cost?

turbo

Well Known Member
img0164bp.jpg

came across this in my flights. as a pilot you got to keep thinking. or ask ATC. does anyone have one of these?

EMAS $$$

Brent is right, that's EMAS. Notice the road directly in front of the runway, they put EMAS in to stop aircraft, mainly big ones, from overrunning and crashing into traffic, buidlings, etc. I saw a Gulfstream overrun in Teterboro, NJ, that stuff stopped him before he crashed into a highway. It's extremely expensive, but actually does very little damage to the aircraft. It's some type of concrete that collapses under the weight of the plane.

-Chris

Aerated concrete or something like that.

Designed to absorb kinetic energy of aircraft overrunning the airport.

You also see it used as crash bumpers along the highways ---- at least a form of it.

Last edited:
We have it here in HYA after a corporate jet went across Rt28 at about 5pm on a summer afternoon. How nobody got hurt is beyond me. That road is usually bumper to bumper at that time. Anyway they installed that stuff and a small plane turned into it on a foggy day. When Ground told the pilot to stop he instead did a 180 to try to get out. The bill for repair was, I heard, something in the range of $100K? Is that possible??

KTEX

Telluride CO has these installed too so you don't fall off the end. I taxied by them and asked the FBO what they were. They told me so airplanes won't fall off the end. They also stated some feds went out there and drove on them and broke a bunch of tiles. I can't remember the amount they said it cost for replacements but it was unbelievable.

Same at Burbank Ca

Airliner ran off the end and into a gas station:eek:
Soon after 'Bob Hope' had the same thing

vlad pulled in and we have not stopped laughing yet. he is headed to treasure key tomorrow to lime out. OBE for lunch first. RV hotel at its best.

now, how much does the EMAS cost?

quick research

The only FAA approved manufacturer of EMAS is Zodiac Aerospace. A quick look on their website gives a typical answer to the question of cost on something so expensive.
What is the cost of an EMAS?

Overall cost for an EMAS project can vary greatly depending on the degree of site preparation work required, the size of the arrestor bed, and locality factors such cost and availability of support labor and on-site storage space available at the airport. Contact ESCO to obtain rough order of magnitude cost for your application.

Wikipedia says
The concrete blocks cost US$1,000 each.

I found the report for one airport stating the whole project would cost 4.0million, but that was for all the materials and labor.

Vlad on vacation

Vlad are you down here in Florida my friend ????? If so I'm buying lunch.

Hope to hear from you soon

Rich Denton

we are headed to OBE for lunch today. otherwise you will need to go to the bahamas to see him on the beach for adult beverage. he is sound asleep at RV HOTEL. everyone sleeps well here.

v didnt want to take the chance of getting his shoes wet so he took the high road. yelling ' dont take the picture' :D

img0244phc.jpg

i got the price on the EMAS from the airport manager, 12 million dollars!!!!!!! those are some expensive engineered concrete blocks. hope i dont land on them. :)

img0247mf.jpg

yes, it is eemaaasing. how was your trip home? a little bit of a high tide during the fall season. made it easy for vlad to get out of the water when the gators showed up.

5477215293f8009658e5m.jpg

Last edited:
how was your trip home?

Stopped overnight in SC first time below zero.

belowzero.jpg

Flooded the carb and eventually discharged the battery. Got some local help :D
You see those giant Ford jumpers? Was non event at all. Ted showed up in couple hours after I was gone and ate all food I missed.

jumpers.jpg

helpers.jpg

Not Florida for sure.

Back