What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 and the White Christmas

ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
2019 brought about the kind of white Christmas that I prefer. The kind where I go to the white and not have the white come to me. Snow is fun to see in its natural habitat, but I don't like it so much down in the lowlands where I live. That's not entirely true, I enjoy it for a day or two, but after that I have to leave the house. People around here don't know how to drive in good weather, throw in some snow and it's best to stay on the sidelines.

We had just come off of a week or so of rain that dumped a lot of snow in the mountains, so I wanted to go take a look. Three fingers and the surrounding areas are only a few miles to the east of me and pretty easy to get to. I was going to go to Glacier Peak and maybe further south as well, but there were some clouds hanging around the peaks of the higher mountains so I opted to go back down to about 3,500' and go north.

I descended into Darrington and followed the valley through to Concrete. Just for giggles I followed a valley behind a hill to the east of Lake Whatcom. I went north to just shy of Lynden with Abbotsford getting large in the windscreen. I paralleled the border to Blaine. The airport in Blaine was closed several years ago. At first, all they did was cut a road right through the middle of the runway. Now, the area south of that road is an industrial park, but the north end of the runway and the north hangars are still there.

From there I took a turn around the resort at Semiahmoo. I stayed there one night about 15 years ago. Nice place, but not a lot to do for someone like me. It must be more of a summer place because there weren't that many cars in the area.

From there I went south toward Bellingham and then over to Orcas Island. A tour around San Juan Island and over to Friday Harbor, then back to the main land. North east of Anacortes is a bay where tankers park waiting their turn to get to the refinery. There were 7 parked there, more than I have seen before.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to check on the work being done beside the freeway in the Ebey Slough area. They are in the process of building a large levy to protect I-5. Once that is complete, they are going to knock down the levies holding back the Snohomish river and flood the whole area, creating more salmon habitat.

From there it was an easy jaunt home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW_F4_3wkjo

Some still photos are here: https://steverush.smugmug.com/Three-Fingers-122519/i-7X3ScTg/A

Great pics, a question

Dear Steve

Great photos! I fly a J3 outta KBFI and am looking for an RV8 or 7.

If you hear of anyone thinking of selling, would you point him/her my way?

Thanks!

Seth Leopold
[email protected]

Nice vid, Steve, one of your best.
Yes, we do live in a beautiful little corner of the world.
I'm forwarding it to out of town family and friends, just to illustrate the point.
Today looks almost as nice - think I'll go out and fly!

Doug
Seattle area

Back