What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Relocation of Panel Brace? RV6 Tip-up

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
In the process of upgrading to a g3x(non-touch) and it looks as if the panel brace is getting in the way of the screens. I search the forums but couldn't find any info on how anyone relocated the brace(s).

Anyone do this before?

Thanks,
D

Panel Brace

On my RV6 I moved the LH panel brace a couple of inches to the right to clear a Dynon D100. The brace doesn't align with or connect to the forward deck rib behind the sub panel. I didn't add any other reinforcing and it is still solid after 200+ hours.

Jim Sharkey
Rv6

In the process of upgrading to a g3x(non-touch) and it looks as if the panel brace is getting in the way of the screens. I search the forums but couldn't find any info on how anyone relocated the brace(s).

Anyone do this before?

Thanks,
D

D, I had the same issue on my 7 tipper. that sub panel is in three pieces and lousy stiffness - (eyeball FEA evaluation). I might suggest an angle all along it's bottom edge for stiffness. Riveted of course.

I offset/angled the panel stiffeners with lots of little pieces for modification until they were pretty stiff. It worked for me and find that I grab the panel a lot getting in.out and under the panel maneuvers for changes/debugging. I'll post a pict if I can find it.

I used 1/2 dia. aluminum rod. Milled the ends 13.5 degrees parallel, drilled and tapped 10-32 holes in each end. Installed in line with the forward ribs. They at the upper edge of the panel and angle downward to be below my tip up canopy brace (when closed) and screwed to the sub-panel and ribs. Solid at a rock and no problem grabbing the top of the panel when climbing out.

Back