What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mesquite, NV airport?

rightrudder

Well Known Member
Just curious as to your experiences here. Always on the lookout for a possible retirement locale near an airport.

No experience with Mesquite, but if you are looking to retire to an airpark in Nevada, come have a look at Dayton - we love the place more and more every day!

Thank you, Paul. I certainly will. Retirement is still a ways off, but I like to look at properties and dream a bit. :)

And I have to build the plane first!!

Wow...I just checked out the Dayton Airpark site/brochure, and pored over the Google satellite view for a while. An amazing place, and very reasonable prices considering what you can get there. I see why you like it so much!

Do you get much snow at that elevation, and what are the seasonal temperature ranges?

Mesquite is nice ! Well the amazing golf- they pick you up and across the street is wolf creek- see golf digest rankings :)

Super awesome. Going again next year

Wow...I just checked out the Dayton Airpark site/brochure, and pored over the Google satellite view for a while. An amazing place, and very reasonable prices considering what you can get there. I see why you like it so much!

Do you get much snow at that elevation, and what are the seasonal temperature ranges?

We got a dusting of snow last year once or twice. In those same "storms", Carson City (8 miles away) got six inches, and Tahoe (fifteen miles away) got two feet. Nice to have access to snow without having to shovel it....

Lowest temps we see are in the 20's, highest about 100 - but rarely see those extremes for more than a day or two.

There is no active developer right now - the HOA owns the runway, and the ten(ish) lots that haven't been built on are all in private hands. Almost anythign is for sale at the right price.....you just keep your eye on it and be patient, and a good deal will come along.

Mesquite

I lived in mesquite for 6 months recently. It is a nice place for retirement. The golf scene is very big and the courses are beautiful! The airport is very friendly and there are a few RVs based there. Go spend a week there. You will enjoy it. It has the small town feel but you are close enough to Vegas and St. George to get the big city stores and such.
I really enjoyed my time there and the people too!

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking I don't necessarily need a hangar home, but perhaps a house that's near the airport, where I can either have a hangar built or rent one. Casey, I'm a huge fan of golf, and have been to Mesquite twice for outings, though not recently...the last time was about 7 or 8 years ago. The town seems to have grown quite a bit since then. I need to go on another reconnaissance trip soon!

Erik...I've heard amazing things about Wolf Creek. I'll definitely try it.

Paul, thanks for the info on Dayton. The weather here in SoCal is amazing, but it's almost too predictable. In 5-6 years, I think I'll be ready for a change in scenery. I'm with you on the snow...nice to drive/fly up to the mountains and enjoy it, then return to the arid home base!

Last edited:
3L2 is near you

Residential airpark 30 miles SW Las Vegas on California border. Golf is 45 minutes away at Prim, $39 a round for residents during week. Airport residences from 72K to 1.2 mil.

Last edited:
I have been going to Mesquite for more than 20 years to golf. I used to fly in and always found a hangar to get tucked away in. However, when the debacle at the old St. George Airport shut down happened, many folks moved their planes to Mesquite. Unless things have changed, hangars might be difficult to impossible to find. I fly into St. George now as this area is no place to be tied down for very long. Too hot and too many wind and sand storms.
If that part of the world is where you want to go, there are one or two air parks in Hurricane. That is pronounced "her eh can"
Dayton Valley also has some very good golf within an easy drive,as well as the course right next to the air park. While perhaps not the same caliber as Wolf Creek. There are plenty of very nice courses between Carson, Reno, and Tahoe. I play Wolf Creek once or twice a year and that is enough. Carson also has easy access to skiing and other Sierra Nevada activities.
Mesquite is a nice place to visit. I could live in the Carson area.

Hmm, very interesting. If there's demand, I wonder if more hangars will be built at Mesquite. It seems like the town has been rejuvenated lately, judging by growth and construction of new homes.

Back