What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CG Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffwhip

Well Known Member
I've been searching for hours and can't find it but what is the display where you enter the weight of each passenger and the fuel. Then as the fuel burns down, it sows the current CG? Thanks in advance!

Not sure exactly what it is you are looking for.......

You need to calculate the weight and balance for your particular aircraft - details are in Section 5 of the build manual. Having done that, you either have to do a paper calculation each flight or it is a simple matter to construct a spreadsheet to do it.

If you search, I believe someone has already posted a W&B calculator......

I use the garmin 496 for W&B. I have never checked if it can auto adjust for elapsed time/calculated fuel burn.

For long trips, I put in all the data, minus the fuel, and this gives me the W&B for low fuel. If this is within the envelope, and adding fuel would not put me over gross, I can go.

Not sure if one of the EFIS's can display the W&B real time, but it would be cool for maybe once or twice. Then I probably would not use it again.

Not sure if one of the EFIS's can display the W&B real time, but it would be cool for maybe once or twice. Then I probably would not use it again.

I agree. It's one of these things that could probably be done, but what's the point? Another unnecessary complication that draws your eyes into the cockpit instead of out of it. Use a spreadsheet (or paper, if you must!) to calculate the take-off and landing CG and have done with it......

The big Airbuses I used to fly had a real-time calculation as it was needed to trim the aircraft with the fuel in the stab tank. Now I fly the B777. We have an automated loadsheet system that calculates the take-off and landing CG and that's it. In the cruise, it uses a conservative fixed number to work out max altitudes.

Let's not over-complicate something that is very simple.......

AFS EFIS

The Advanced EFIS has a page where you can input weights of each passenger, weights in baggage area, gallons in each tank, and it calculates your current and low-fuel CG and gross weight. I hardly ever use it but it's nifty when you are heavy and want to verify CG and gross weight. You have to input your particular weights and moment arms but after that it's a 1 minute exercise. It takes me a lot longer than that to get an accurate weight out of my women passengers.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back